Could my pc be damaged by static electricity?

RedHaze1911

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
So my brother cleaned out my pc with a vaccume cleaner without me knowing about it. He said he only had physical contact with the pc case and the cpu cooler. There have been two instances thus far that have me worried. I left the pc on for the night cause it was playing an audiobook but when i woke up the screen was all green and i couldnt do anything. That being said,when i restarted the pc,it imediately started a windows update so idk,perhaps that was just a win update process that got screwed up and froze the pc,although ive never seen a flat light green screen error like that before. But just now today,i was surfing wikipedia with youtube playing a video in the background and suddenly my mouse froze and so did the whole pc... the audio played for a while and then the sound got messed up and whent trrrrr like it was having a stroke. The pc was cleaned while it was off and unplugged and these two instances happened 3-4 days apart. Do you guys think this is a sign of static damage? And if so,what can i do to be sure and can i fix the problem or locate the problematic part? Any help would be apreciated.

6700K,z170a msi gaming pro,rm1000 corsair psu,2x 980ti,v8 coolermaster cpu cooler,4x4gb ddr4 corsair vengeance ram.

DCrypted

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Yeah it is quite possible. Try powering it off, unplugging it and while its unplugged press and hold the power button for 30 seconds or so. That will drain any access power, and hopefully dissipate any static that might be messing with the system. I had the same thing happen to a system I was working on when I tried to put the metal side panel back on after it had been lying on carpet. The machine just froze on a green screen. But I did what I mentioned above and the machine worked fine after. Hope that helps. :)

Hi,

If the computer has problem it's really unlikely done by static electricity.

I have been repairing computers for about 20 years now and I have had many instance where static electricity was transferred to hard drives, plugged in computers while they are running, getting socked while touching a computer. Get shocked while installing new ram and never did it damaged something.

The problem you are having (computer freeze, green screens) is most likely because you have a failing component.

The first thing I would test is the psu, then the gpu.

Usually this problems comes up when the psu is overheating because it cannot cool off properly or cannot provide the required electricity to the computer.

How old is the computer ?

RedHaze1911

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015

Its like 5-6 months old. One thing to mention is that there was trouble with the latest nvidia drivers but i did do a clean install of them as was recommended. Could this be that issue?