[SOLVED] Could my power supply be causing server restarts?

jozeftierney

Reputable
May 4, 2018
My server has been periodically restarting for a while now and always 20 mins after the hour. I initially suspected a memory leak due to some strange behaviors but I'm not sure that's the case anymore.

System specs:
Windows server 2016 essentials
Intel Xeon 1230 V5
Windows server essentials 2016
2 x 16 gigs KVR24E17D8/16 kingston RAM
250W single power supply
2 x 1TB SSDs
Running through an APC UPS

The 250 W power supply cam with the case and motherboard so not much thought was put into it and using online power supply calculators now I can see it's just over the requirements. I'm wondering if whatever event that runs 20 mins after the hour every hour could sometimes push the PSU past it's limit.

The restarts happen on average once a day, could be 3 or 4 times a day, could be 7 days without one and it never leaves minidumps, any info in the log or a blue screen of death (I have turned on BSODs and minidumps in the advanced settings). After booting up again it leaves event 6008 (the previous system shutdown at -- was unexpected) and 41 (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly)

I've been combing through logs and watching performance monitor but haven't found anything concrete for a while. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.