Question Could my power supply be the reason every single game crashes on my PC?

dalethezombie

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
Hi everyone, I've been having so many computer issues recently it's not even funny. I can't seem to get a single game on my computer to run without crashing at some point during gameplay. I have a 1000W Rosewill PSU (Dunno the model or name) that I've had since 2015 and has seen a bunch of different hardware in its lifespan. I recently purchased an RTX 2080 (also happened frequently with my 1070 Ti) and I can't get a game to run without it unexpectedly closing. I played Battlefield 1 last night and it closed suddenly without an error message or even a log in the Windows event viewer. Only happens in 3D applications. I've tried EVERYTHING to get my games to run stable.
-Wipe Nvidia drivers, reinstall it
-Mem tests
-chkdsk
-sfc scannow
-Windows reinstall
-Running stock speeds
-Update BIOS, and AMD Chipset drivers
-Windows Update

I do not know what else to try. I even may have forgotten to list some of my solutions I've tried also. Could it honestly be my power supply being whack? My specs are below, so there it seems like it isn't my hardware. I did have a problem in the past with an old power supply. My computer would shut down in the middle of playing games so I'm not so sure. Any help is appreciated.

dalethezombie

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
If your computer is shutting down during game play try another power supply. Purchase one at a local retail store and return it if it doesn't work out. List your current hardware specs because I doubt you need a 1000w.
My computer doesn't shut down during gameplay. That happened on a older build which caused me to buy my current power supply. Also my current specs are in my sig.

I either think its hardware issue with the system drive or the power supply because you stated you did a clean install and had issues in the past with the same hardware. What hardware remained the same within your old and new build? That picture is gross in your profile lol.

Last edited:

dalethezombie

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
I either think its hardware issue with the system drive or the power supply because you stated you did a clean install and had issues in the past with the same hardware. What hardware remained the same within your old and new build? That picture is gross in your profile lol.
My OS is installed on a new NVMe drive, and it was an older build with different hardware than I have now

dalethezombie

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
So we've basically ruled out all hardware and software. The next step is to question is your windows up to date, the game you installed or the power source for your computer like the power strip, UPS unit, wall outlet etc. Does the issue happen with all games or just one game?
I just did a complete clean Windows reinstall and I'm still crashing. Happens in Destiny 2 more than any other game.

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
idk first thing i think of with an issue like this is overheating.. but i suppose you would notice fans spinning up and junk. still.. keeping that pc cool?

Aug 7, 2019
You may have drivers and software from your old system causing conflicts assuming you have a windows key load a clean windows install from Microsoft and use your licence might be good to erase your nvme first

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
i had this issue while ago. turned out it was my ram that is overheating and causing games to crash.( it was OCed to 2700mhz with 1.45 voltage.) i down clocked my ram to 2600 and voltage to 1.3 and problems solved.

fuzonacid

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Hi everyone, I've been having so many computer issues recently it's not even funny. I can't seem to get a single game on my computer to run without crashing at some point during gameplay. I have a 1000W Rosewill PSU (Dunno the model or name) that I've had since 2015 and has seen a bunch of different hardware in its lifespan. I recently purchased an RTX 2080 (also happened frequently with my 1070 Ti) and I can't get a game to run without it unexpectedly closing. I played Battlefield 1 last night and it closed suddenly without an error message or even a log in the Windows event viewer. Only happens in 3D applications. I've tried EVERYTHING to get my games to run stable.
-Wipe Nvidia drivers, reinstall it
-Mem tests
-chkdsk
-sfc scannow
-Windows reinstall
-Running stock speeds
-Update BIOS, and AMD Chipset drivers
-Windows Update

I do not know what else to try. I even may have forgotten to list some of my solutions I've tried also. Could it honestly be my power supply being whack? My specs are below, so there it seems like it isn't my hardware. I did have a problem in the past with an old power supply. My computer would shut down in the middle of playing games so I'm not so sure. Any help is appreciated.

I had the same issue twice and cleaning the dust out of the Power Supply solved it.

James9002uk

Commendable
May 30, 2017
Could be your GPU RTX 2080 overheating... are you overclocking it at all?
  • If you are do a factory reset.
  • Are you using any other drivers, manufactures and/or another one for example MSI afterburner? One or the other could be getting confused.
  • Check if the GPU fans are spinning?
Take out the GPU and try rung a game without it, you should be able to on very low settings... or try an older game... if it doesn't crash its the GPU.