[SOLVED] Could my RAM mhz slow my pc down

marten25kais

Prominent
Mar 16, 2018
Hello, I recently got an amd 3rd gen 3600 cpu, and I have 2x8 gb 2400 mhz RAM. My pc seems to be slower than it was when I had an I5 cpu.

Solution
Hello, I recently got an amd 3rd gen 3600 cpu, and I have 2x8 gb 2400 mhz RAM. My pc seems to be slower than it was when I had an I5 cpu.
that will be windows that compiled the libs with intel optimizations and 1. is missing AMD optimizatons while compiling 2. have different set of speedups that even slow it down.

Grab a ISO file from MS main site, make an bootable pendrive. I think "reinstall" will be enough, it will refresh all that, and put old windows in windows.old folder

ram will be a difference of snappiness but not noticable on windows level, just 200 FPS instead of 240 FPS in games.
If you replaced 7 gen i5 or older, then 100% just windows with intel optimizations.....

marten25kais

Prominent
Mar 16, 2018
Amd cpu's are notorious for needing/loving faster ram. Amd says the "sweet" spot for the 3rd generation cpu ram is 3700mhz. You are a bit away from that. But I don't know what your old set up was compared to your new setup. There are a lot of variables to be considered.
The main difference other than the motherboard and the cpu is the power supply, it was 550w now it is 650w. Also can you recommend some good RAM sticks for the amd cpu? Also what chnages does the mhz make to the cpu?

Not reinstalling windows again after changing to a different motherboard and especially going from Intel to AMD can cause all kinds of issues with your windows 10 system. If you do have to do that your suppose to delete all the drivers and shut down until you hook up the other mother board.

marten25kais

Prominent
Mar 16, 2018
Not reinstalling windows again after changing to a different motherboard and especially going from Intel to AMD can cause all kinds of issues with your windows 10 system. If you do have to do that your suppose to delete all the drivers and shut down until you hook up the other mother board.
What should I do right now?

that will be windows that compiled the libs with intel optimizations and 1. is missing AMD optimizatons while compiling 2. have different set of speedups that even slow it down.

Grab a ISO file from MS main site, make an bootable pendrive. I think "reinstall" will be enough, it will refresh all that, and put old windows in windows.old folder

ram will be a difference of snappiness but not noticable on windows level, just 200 FPS instead of 240 FPS in games.
If you replaced 7 gen i5 or older, then 100% just windows with intel optimizations.....

Reactions: marten25kais
Solution

marten25kais

Prominent
Mar 16, 2018

I have the official windows 10 usb stick, can I use that instead of downloading it to a new usb stick? Also will all of my other stuff still stay or do I need to reinstall it?

Last edited:
I have the official windows 10 usb stick, can I use that instead of downloading it to a new usb stick? Also will all of my other stuff still stay or do I need to reinstall it?
Current one should be fine, it will just redownload updates that new install will already have. Nothing big, just an update right after install.
What will stay, what will go really depends on how hard you will "reinstall" windows there are few options:
we should be fine with:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall

check the link it have all the instructions how to do it.