Could my SSD be dead?

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Im trying to install W7 and when i get to the choosing the drive; i click on 'new' and then it makes a Disk 0 Partition 1:System Reserved and a Disk 0 Partition 2.

Now with the Partition 2, i click on format. But it throws this: 'Error: 0x80070057'

I've been doing this for several hours now without success.

In the BIOS i have AHCI enabled and the only thing plugged in into the SATA ports is this drive im trying to install W7 on.

The drive im trying to install it on is a SSD, Samsung 830 128GB.

Before this trying to do a clean install business, i was encountering BSODs right after the windows animation when its booting. Then after around 3 restarts, it just wouldnt read windows and it just booted straight into the BIOS.

Could my SSD be dead?

Specs for the rest are:
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth Z87
CPU: i7 4770k
RAM: 8GB Corsair Dominator 1866
GPU: EVGA GTX 780

Im really need the help as im panicking as i need to install windows and do my work for university.

popatim

Titan
It might be having a problem.
When windows asks where do you want to install to, click advanced and delte all partitions. then highlight the drive and click next. If it cant install in that state then you probably want to contact Samsung for an RMA.

or if you want to try you can always try using diskpart from the command prompt to format the drive.

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
@maxwellmelon
I followed this and with no success, still threw 0x80070057

@popatim
Im really trying to avoid going RMA route as i have work to do for university and RMA takes weeks :(

I did also run DISKPART > clean all
I left it over night, thats about 5-6hrs. The cursor below the last written command was just blinking.
The SSD is only 128GB so i didnt think it would tale 5-6hrs to write 0's into it.
So im assuming the 'clean all' hung or my drive really doesnt want to get written into.
Or maybe is it because i was running off USB to try to install W7/run DISKPART?

Any other suggestions? I really appreciate the help.

Well I think u need to check the smart values of the drive. Two ways to do this

1. install it as a second drive in a working computer and use Samsung Magician to check drives smart values.

2. find a free hard drive SMART value checker that runs in dos and start computer with a dos disk and then run program. You could also get Ultimate boot disk has free tools that can check the values (don't use any of the file system checkers though on the drive) and it will provide the boot envrioment to run them. If you could record the smart values and show them here we can tell u if ur drive is bad. for UBD when it starts u would select Hard drive section, then check disk section, then choose any tool that says it can read the smart values

TRENDING THREADS