Question Could non-compatible RAM frequency be cause of video lag ?

Feb 2, 2022
Hi,
I have a long going problem with streaming 1080p and 5.1 videos on my Nuc5I5Ryk. Although he problem only occurs in some instances.
I have tried updating every driver, bios and reinstalling graphic drivers among other things.

What now appeared occurred to me is that the RAM i bought is 1866MHz and my board only supports 1333 and 1600.
Although I also found this information about my RAM so I think it should work anyway (or?) - ” SPD - 1600 MHz - 1.35 / 1.5 V - CL10 - 10-10-10”

I can see in the BIOS that the board set it to 1600 although tcl, trcd and trp was set to 9. I changed them to 10 but it did not make any difference to the video playback.
Should I change some other RAM value in the BIOS, do I have to buy a new RAM or is it not even possible that this has something to do with the problem that I am experiencing ?

Not working:
  • Netflix app (1080p + surround)
  • Netflix through Edge (1080p ).
  • Disney+ app (1080p)
Working:
  • 1080p and 5.1 through Kodi.
  • Disney + through Edge (1080p).
  • Netflix through Firefox + 1080p add on.
Specs:
Intel Nuc Kit Nuc5I5Ryk bought dec 2016.
Processor: Intel Core I5-5250U
RAM: Fury Black DDR3L 1866MHz 2x4gb
Graphic: Intel HD graphics 6000
SSD: Samsung 850-series EVO 120GB M.2
HDMI-cable: Deltaco mini HDMI>HDMI (Version 1.4)

Picture of RAM settings:
View: https://imgur.com/XXX8Vpa

Video showing Netflix app playback:
View: https://imgur.com/Rb9FEiv

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your display? Is the panel capable of HDR? Can you disassemble the NUC and see what the stickered information on the ram stick is? If the issue is cropping up only with the app's on their own, then issue might be with said apps considering that the issue is non existent when you view the content off of a browser's tab. Side note, did you use Samsung's Magician app to see if your SSD is pending any firmware updates?

Feb 2, 2022
I have tried to output both on my regular TV and my new computer display with the same result. TV is non HDR while the PC display is capable of it.
TV: Panasonic Viera TX-P55ST50Y
Computer display: Lenovo G27q-20 27"

I will check the sticker on the RAM later today.
I have not tried updating the SSD firmware, I will look into this later today also.

As mentioned above the problem is also happening when using Netflix through Edge.

Thank you for your help so far!

Hi,
I have a long going problem with streaming 1080p and 5.1 videos on my Nuc5I5Ryk. Although he problem only occurs in some instances.
I have tried updating every driver, bios and reinstalling graphic drivers among other things.

What now appeared occurred to me is that the RAM i bought is 1866MHz and my board only supports 1333 and 1600.
Although I also found this information about my RAM so I think it should work anyway (or?) - ” SPD - 1600 MHz - 1.35 / 1.5 V - CL10 - 10-10-10”

I can see in the BIOS that the board set it to 1600 although tcl, trcd and trp was set to 9. I changed them to 10 but it did not make any difference to the video playback.
Should I change some other RAM value in the BIOS, do I have to buy a new RAM or is it not even possible that this has something to do with the problem that I am experiencing ?

Not working:
  • Netflix app (1080p + surround)
  • Netflix through Edge (1080p ).
  • Disney+ app (1080p)
Working:
  • 1080p and 5.1 through Kodi.
  • Disney + through Edge (1080p).
  • Netflix through Firefox + 1080p add on.
Specs:
Intel Nuc Kit Nuc5I5Ryk bought dec 2016.
Processor: Intel Core I5-5250U
RAM: Fury Black DDR3L 1866MHz 2x4gb
Graphic: Intel HD graphics 6000
SSD: Samsung 850-series EVO 120GB M.2
HDMI-cable: Deltaco mini HDMI>HDMI (Version 1.4)

Picture of RAM settings:
View: https://imgur.com/XXX8Vpa

Video showing Netflix app playback:
View: https://imgur.com/Rb9FEiv
Buying higher frequency RAM and putting it on a board that doesn't support such frequencies is usually not a problem, it would normally just run at a lower speed. I have had a high frequency RAM kit cause lots of stuttering once when running games and lowering the clocks did fix it. You could try running your RAM at the default sped of 1333Mhz.

Doesn't sound like a RAM issue though, my experiences with video playback issues have always been software related.

Have you ruled out any problems with your internet connection?

Feb 2, 2022
Thank you for trying to help.
I will try lowering to 1333Mhz although 1600Mhz should also be supported by the motherboard.

I have ruled out problem with internet because the problems remain even when I have downloaded a movie on the Netflix app.

Feb 2, 2022
Make and model of your display? Is the panel capable of HDR? Can you disassemble the NUC and see what the stickered information on the ram stick is? If the issue is cropping up only with the app's on their own, then issue might be with said apps considering that the issue is non existent when you view the content off of a browser's tab. Side note, did you use Samsung's Magician app to see if your SSD is pending any firmware updates?

I've now checked Magician app and it says that the SSD is running the latest firmware.
I have not opened the NUC yet but I think I found the information that you where asking for on the retailers shop - HX318LC11FBK2/8.

Feb 2, 2022
Buying higher frequency RAM and putting it on a board that doesn't support such frequencies is usually not a problem, it would normally just run at a lower speed. I have had a high frequency RAM kit cause lots of stuttering once when running games and lowering the clocks did fix it. You could try running your RAM at the default sped of 1333Mhz.

Doesn't sound like a RAM issue though, my experiences with video playback issues have always been software related.

Have you ruled out any problems with your internet connection?
Sorry but I am not sure how to configure it for 1333mhz. I learned that it is not as simple as just changing it to 1333mhz. Maybe you can help me by looking at the picture in my first post.
Also I've found out the MPN off the RAM. Here you can read more about it - https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX318LC11FBK2_8.pdf

Last edited:
Please help...
@Lutfij
@Nighthawk117
Anyone?
Hmm actually didn't think before, you won't be able to manually configure RAM speed on that. Still very sceptical though that RAM is causing your issue. So few questions:
  1. Do you have only one display connected?
  2. Did your Nuc come with RAM or has it only ever used your Fury Black stuff?
  3. When did the stuttering start?
  4. What does Task Manager show for your resource use in terms of CPU Usage and RAM use when your playing video through Netflix?

Feb 2, 2022
No problem. Thank you for your response.

1. Yes, only one display connnected and I have tried with both my TV and my computer montior with the same result.
  2. It did not come with any RAM. I bought the RAM separately and it has only used these ones.
  3. I have had this problem from the beginning when I bought the Nuc (end of 2016). I did not solve it back then and therefore instead went back to win7 where I did not have any stutters. It was just recently I tried to install win10 again with the same problem appearing. Although Netflix and Disney + app is not present on Win7 and I am pretty sure that I have ever tried Netflix through Edge there. I mainly used Firefox and thats 720p + stereo.
4.When using the Netflix app.
CPU: Pending between 7-25%
RAM: 33%

Looks ok to me, do you have another machine connected to the same router like a laptop that you can try Netflix on?

Don't think it will make any difference, but you could also try disabling Windows Fast Startup to ensure your machine does a clean shutdown. It's fixed some random niggles for me in the past.
You can find the settings under: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings

I know you've tried updating all the drivers, can I assume you have all the Windows updates as well?

Feb 2, 2022
Yes I have tried with my stationary computer and it works.
Also I have tried downloading a movie on Netflix and it's the same fault. So it should not be a network issue.

I have tried disabling Windows Fast Startup but the problem remains.

I have updated everything through Windows update.

Feb 2, 2022
Tried memtest86 yesterday and it did not give me any errors.
Also set full performance in Samsung Magician which means activating rapid status and over provisioning. It did not do any difference.

Today I stumbled upon one thing that may give a clue though.
I am streaming the Olympics on Discovery+ and there have not been any problems. Although when starting Samsung Magician and pressing "Drive Details" it did some kind off check/scan for about 3min or so and when doing that the exact same stutter started on Discover+. When checking I could see that the processor was working at a 100%. After the scan was complete it started streaming as normal again. As I said before I can not see the same processor overload when using Netflix but maybe this can be a clue that there is some kind off bottleneck on the processor or something? Maybe the integrated graphics? Or it may just be a coincidence but it was the exact same type off stutter.

Last edited:
CPU overload would cause stutter that's why I asked about the Task Manager. It isn't the most powerful CPU in the world, it could be that it's struggling. I would be surprised if that was the case though if there's not much else running. The iGPU should be doing the heavy lifting anyway.

If you haven't already, try changing the power plan to High Performance under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options.

Feb 2, 2022
Yeah, but as I said the processor does not seem to be struggling when the video is stuttering on Netflix and Disney+. At least according to Task Manager.
But maybe the internal gpu is? I am pretty sure that my task manager is not showing the gpu. I will see if I can activate so that it is showing it, or if not I will see if I can download some other program to monitor it.

The power plan is already set to high performance.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022
It says AVC1 so the codec should not be the problem then.
Yea it seems to drop a lot off frames. Over 500 in like 2-3min.

Also checked gpu performance in task manager now and it is not struggling. It is only using like 10%.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022
I have now compared even more with Netflix.

Edge = Over 500 dropped frames.
Firefox + 1080p add on with forced vp9 = confirmed playing 1080p vp9 and 3 dropped frames.
Firefox + 1080p add on = confirmed playing 1080p avc1 and 0 dropped frames.

Compared all stuff on the Netflix logg page but I can't see a explanation to why the dropped frames are happening in Edge (and also in Netflix app and Disney+ on Edge).

Last edited: