[SOLVED] Could OS Incompatibility Cause GPU Driver Failure?

mrsmile

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2014
Could Windows OS incompatibility cause GPU driver to stop working?

My display driver would crash whenever I play Lost Ark. All the specs requirement are met except the OS. The game requires Windows 10 minimum, I have 8.1 .

I have AMD driver version 17.7.1 but some other games warned that I need version 19. however the driver setting menu has repeatedly told me I'm on the latest version and I cannot find anything newer on AMD's driver page either.

is DirectX a better explanation?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Signature 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL10 Memory ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: SanDisk Ultra Plus 128 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3 GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Power Supply: Rosewill 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($112.69 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor

Last edited:
Solution
To answer the question in the topic: no.

You're trying to play a game on an unsupported driver version. There's no guarantee the game will actually work on a driver version older than what it wants. With regards to using an unsupported OS, I'm not seeing anything that Windows 10 did at the system level outside of DirectX 12 that would would cause a game to outright not work. But if the game has a DX11 render path, then it shouldn't matter.
To answer the question in the topic: no.

You're trying to play a game on an unsupported driver version. There's no guarantee the game will actually work on a driver version older than what it wants. With regards to using an unsupported OS, I'm not seeing anything that Windows 10 did at the system level outside of DirectX 12 that would would cause a game to outright not work. But if the game has a DX11 render path, then it shouldn't matter.

Solution