Question Bad stuttering in every game, could Ryzen be the issue ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
I have a high end pc, and in every single game I get bad stuttering.
I was getting it on my rtx 3090 and went to a 6900xt, still got it.
Got a new PSU ( Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W )
Upgraded my ryzen 5 3600 to a ryzen 9 5900x. Upgraded to a x570 taichi, 32gb of ram, a 2tb 980 pro, still happens. The only thing that has been constant throughout these upgrades is ryzen.
Do you think this could possibly be a ryzen issue? I am now wondering if I should go to intel and see if that fixes it, but I wanted opinions before I went through that nightmare.
Its the only thing I can think of at this point, it was happening on my old ryzen 5 3600 machine, everything on my current pc is new and its still happening. This didnt happen when I had a 2500k

I have watched temps in HWmonitor, theyre all fine. Ive set all cores to 3.6ghz on my cpu so theyre not all jumping around. Different ram. Putting settings on lowest they can go.
Examples;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jpobE1Y6Qg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CutEaizidk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf8oG56fK0o

View: https://youtu.be/XBXRZ1mjZ6Y

Is there a software that could turn off absolutely all processes and everything running except the game to make sure it's not a software issue? I'm running out of things to think of

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
You can build it in the original motherboard box. that should be fine for a test. Make sure to pay close attention when you build it outside the case and especially if you completely rebuild it (take apart everything and rebuild).
Thanks heaps. So I'm looking for stuff like a screw that's just sitting on the motherboard but isn't screwed in to anything.?

I did a memtest and that came back no errors. Like I said my old build did this and the only things I still have from that are my case and the ram.

If after all of this and there is still stuttering I would return the CPU and get another AM4 CPU. This will show whether it was a bad 5900x. If you still have issues with a different 5900x installed then it cant be the CPU causing the issue. Since you have replaced every other part that only leaves the way you built it as a potential cause for the issue. Do you know what I mean?

Reactions: Phaaze88
Thanks so much for your help btw.

So I can just build it ontop on the box? Do I have to hook fans up?

You need:
  • mobo cardboard box
  • Motherboard over that box
  • CPU
  • AIO/Cooler for the CPU
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Storage
  • PSU

Your mobo have a power and reset buttons so you are good to go.

I also believe that is really hard this is because is "Ryzen". Can the CPU be bad, yes it can, but you had a CPU before and was also doing this... I believe is something else too.

Didn't you use the same asrock motherboard + corsair RAM for the Ryzen 5 3600X and 5900X ?

Well good luck and be carefull!

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
You need:
  • mobo cardboard box
  • Motherboard over that box
  • CPU
  • AIO/Cooler for the CPU
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Storage
  • PSU
Your mobo have a power and reset buttons so you are good to go.

I also believe that is really hard this is because is "Ryzen". Can the CPU be bad, yes it can, but you had a CPU before and was also doing this... I believe is something else too.

Didn't you use the same asrock motherboard + corsair RAM for the Ryzen 5 3600X and 5900X ?

Well good luck and be carefull!
My old build was a ryzen 5 3600,b550 tuf motherboard, gtx 1080 [ and a 3090] same ram, same case, 8 year old psu I replaced because I thought that was the cause. Still happened on this build which is why I replaced it part by part.

My friend is going to lend me his bench and ram

Should I move the NVME down a slot to run cooler so its not so close to the gpu ?

Last edited:
My old build was a ryzen 5 3600,b550 tuf motherboard, gtx 1080 [ and a 3090] same ram, same case, 8 year old psu I replaced because I thought that was the cause. Still happened on this build which is why I replaced it part by part.

My friend is going to lend me his bench and ram

Should I move the NVME down a slot to run cooler so its not so close to the gpu ?
That slot may be only pcie 3 not 4.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
Make sure that there is a standoff for each screw hole, no more, no less. Also make sure to screw the motherboard into every standoff, but do not overtighten the screws.
I did everything you said with ddu, windows install drivers install ect
It's in a test bench. Still happening. I'm out of ideas at this point.
I've tried a wired mouse, different monitor different hdmi cable. I really don't know what to do.

I've tried a wired mouse, different monitor different hdmi cable. I really don't know what to do.
Okay, at this point, get another AM4 socket CPU. It can be anything 5000 series to test. If you still have a problem then its not your 5900x and you can return the one you got. If this fixes your issue then there was something wrong with the original 5900x.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
Okay, at this point, get another AM4 socket CPU. It can be anything 5000 series to test. If you still have a problem then its not your 5900x and you can return the one you got. If this fixes your issue then there was something wrong with the original 5900x.

If I do that and I still have issues what the heck could it be? It used to do it on a ryzen 5 3600 and different motherboard that's the only reason I'm considering trying out Intel.
I feel defeated.

If I do that and I still have issues what the heck could it be? It used to do it on a ryzen 5 3600 and different motherboard that's the only reason I'm considering trying out Intel.
I feel defeated.
Well like I said, its not because you are using an AMD CPU. Lets go over this again. What are the same parts you are using now that you had with the 3600 system and prior? Ram? GPUs? PSU? Motherboard? SSDs? HDDs? Network card? Sound card? CPU cooler? Case? Any new peripherals you got when you made the 3600 system that you are still using with the new 5900x system?

Once you finish Windows installation, Windws will still keep installing stuff in the background (updates, etc.).

Make sure you pause windows updates for testing as this may get in the way while playing games.

Also are this game you playing online, or local single player?, If they are online, Are you using an ethernet cable or the WiFi on your mobo?

Reactions: helper800

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@helper800
Sadly, I don't. I felt you and RodroX had some good points though.
I'm not of much help when it comes to software related problems. That stuff gives me a headache. But a Clean Boot, plus a format and reinstall of the OS though a pendrive... and still nothing changed?
I thought that'd take care of anything software... unless the secondary drives are still connected while this is going on?

As for hardware: what HAVEN'T they switched out yet?
-Cpu
-Peripherals, like the keyboard, mouse, etc. Any of that was carried over? Some of these things have their own blasted software. The less software you have to run, the better. That's why I frown upon certain parts that force it down our throats.
-What's the health of the storage drives like? I don't think that's been covered yet(I went back through the 4 pages)? A high number of bad sectors present? The drive itself getting too hot under operation?

Out of anything that's plugged into their PC - or another way to look at it, what the PC might be plugged into(if anything)?
-A surge protector that's already done it's part and needs to be removed?
-Power from the wall is just that bad. IDK, I feel if that were the case, it'd be worse than some stuttering, like brownouts a plenty.

@helper800
I'm not of much help when it comes to software related problems. That stuff gives me a headache. But a Clean Boot, plus a format and reinstall of the OS though a pendrive... and still nothing changed?
I thought that'd take care of anything software... unless the secondary drives are still connected while this is going on?

-Cpu
-Peripherals, like the keyboard, mouse, etc. Any of that was carried over? Some of these things have their own blasted software. The less software you have to run, the better. That's why I frown upon certain parts that force it down our throats.
-What's the health of the storage drives like? I don't think that's been covered yet(I went back through the 4 pages)? A high number of bad sectors present? The drive itself getting too hot under operation?

Out of anything that's plugged into their PC - or another way to look at it, what the PC might be plugged into(if anything)?
-Power from the wall is just that bad. IDK, I feel if that were the case, it'd be worse than some stuttering, like brownouts a plenty.
Thanks for the reply, its good to get a sanity check in complicated posts that are this long. We will have to wait on the OP for more info on what precisely was left over from the previous build to this one, and potentially what was left from the build prior to the 3600 build, because they were having some issues there as well.

Good points addressing the power situation. I typically do not expect power issues unless it is more of an intermittent or situationally consistent shutdown. For example most bad circuits or overarching power delivery to a house that only causes issues with a PC involve random shutdowns (from occasional brownouts) or consistently crashing under load because the circuit cannot handle that extra pressure for whatever reason. Can also be poor craftmanship or negligent manufacturing on a surge protector.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and RodroX

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
@helper800

-Cpu

Thanks for the reply, its good to get a sanity check in complicated posts that are this long. We will have to wait on the OP for more info on what precisely was left over from the previous build to this one, and potentially what was left from the build prior to the 3600 build, because they were having some issues there as well.

Good points addressing the power situation. I typically do not expect power issues unless it is more of an intermittent or situationally consistent shutdown. For example most bad circuits or overarching power delivery to a house that only causes issues with a PC involve random shutdowns (from occasional brownouts) or consistently crashing under load because the circuit cannot handle that extra pressure for whatever reason. Can also be poor craftmanship or negligent manufacturing on a surge protector.

Sorry I've been really busy.
So I have no idea. I gave my friend who also has ryzen my graphics card, ram, psu, CPU. He has b550 and a 2600. I have a x570. And 5900x. It happened on my 3600 and b550m

He also got the stuttering when he plugged in my gpu and psu [ his psu can't run a 6900xt] so we can eliminate the way I build a pc, or software I think. He is in Windows 10 I'm on 11.
He said my gpu started to make a loud whining sound, which I noticed too. What could that be is that coil whine?
But the thing that does my head in is it happened on my 3090 and old psu, and on 3090 and my new psu.
It's a 1000w highly regarded psu so I don't even know what to do. I even plugged my laptop into my monitor and peripherals [ it's an Intel CPU laptop, rtx 3070] and got zero stutter on the same games with the same settings.

He lives on the other side of town too. So it's not my houses power. He didn't even plug in my ram so we can elimate that too.
I didn't tell him what happens and he explained the exact same situation I have. It starts after a few mins and gets worse with time. But temps are fine. He was using his build and only using my psu and gpu. But how can it be the gpu or psu when both have been replaced and it was happening on both of the old ones too. It happened on my nvme, his ssd, and my other ssd.

I know it makes no sense but ryzen is the only common demoninator. I've bought an Intel CPU and mobo. Will update on if that helps. If not I really don't know what to do. His pc without my gpu and psu gets zero stutter.

Like I said I know nothing points to the CPU but ryzen to Intel is the only thing I haven't tried. If that doesn't work, I truly don't know what to do.

At this point I have literally built a whole new pc.
It happened on my old psu, storage. gpu, ram, case [ yes I have even bought a new case] CPU, motherboard, fresh installs of Windows as you guys directed. I have literally replaced every single part. He has a completely different monitor brand and peripherals.

This is with zero other drives connected too. Just the os and game drive.

It won't make sense if it ends up being ryzen tho because he and I with completely different builds got the same issue so it should be a huge issue you see in the forums.

Last edited:
Sorry I've been really busy.
So I have no idea. I gave my friend who also has ryzen my graphics card, ram, psu, CPU. He has b550 and a 2600. I have a x570. And 5900x. It happened on my 3600 and b550m

He also got the stuttering when he plugged in my gpu and psu [ his psu can't run a 6900xt] so we can eliminate the way I build a pc, or software I think. He is in Windows 10 I'm on 11.
He said my gpu started to make a loud whining sound, which I noticed too. What could that be is that coil whine?
But the thing that does my head in is it happened on my 3090 and old psu, and on 3090 and my new psu.
It's a 1000w highly regarded psu so I don't even know what to do. I even plugged my laptop into my monitor and peripherals [ it's an Intel CPU laptop, rtx 3070] and got zero stutter on the same games with the same settings.

He lives on the other side of town too. So it's not my houses power. He didn't even plug in my ram so we can elimate that too.
I didn't tell him what happens and he explained the exact same situation I have. It starts after a few mins and gets worse with time. But temps are fine. He was using his build and only using my psu and gpu. But how can it be the gpu or psu when both have been replaced and it was happening on both of the old ones too. It happened on my nvme, his ssd, and my other ssd.

I know it makes no sense but ryzen is the only common demoninator. I've bought an Intel CPU and mobo. Will update on if that helps. If not I really don't know what to do. His pc without my gpu and psu gets zero stutter.

Like I said I know nothing points to the CPU but ryzen to Intel is the only thing I haven't tried. If that doesn't work, I truly don't know what to do.

At this point I have literally built a whole new pc.
It happened on my old psu, storage. gpu, ram, case [ yes I have even bought a new case] CPU, motherboard, fresh installs of Windows as you guys directed. I have literally replaced every single part. He has a completely different monitor brand and peripherals.

This is with zero other drives connected too. Just the os and game drive.

It won't make sense if it ends up being ryzen tho because he and I with completely different builds got the same issue so it should be a huge issue you see in the forums.

From what you wrote, I would guess is something with your PSU and/or GPU (yes even if you got newer ones).

But at this point it does not matter what I think or guess. If you have new parts we will find out when you share the results of this new system.

Reactions: helper800

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
I havent got the new one yet, I am just preparing my GPU return form incase, as I have little hope the intel system will help.
The old PSU was also 1000w. My current PSU has an eco mode, that wouldnt have anything to do with it would it? You can see in the stutter videos, the GPU usage drops in half when it happens

Status
Not open for further replies.