[SOLVED] could slow ram (2400mhz) cause my suttering problems?

karolos bizos

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
Hello,
I have had this micro stuttering issue (for a long time now) especially on demaning games such as red dead redemption 2 and Metro Exodus. The weird part is my fps is good (70+) but games still stutter a little bit. ive checked the temperatures and theyre fine and the games run on an ssd (idk if that matters even) so the only problem i can really find is the ram speed. i have 2x8gb of ram overclocked to 2400mhz (2100mhz default), so could upgrading to faster ram fix the problem? my other specs are an rx5700xt
i5-8600k@4.1ghz
any advice would be appreciated :)

Solution
Hello!
Since it's only in demanding games, I could also add to the recommendations by our friend here that you should check if it happens when CPU usage just hits 100%. A friend of mine has an i5-8400 and the fact that it's not hyper-threaded is really slowing him down, especially if he is streaming in discord. For reference - me and my friend were playing together, same settings - medium - high settings in RDR2 Online targeting 50-60fps. My Ryzen 5 1600AF has went as high as 70% in the most demanding scenes, while my friend's i5-8400 has indeed caused him stutters in the same scenes.
You should also see if you are playing on borderless instead of fullscreen - that can also cause stutters.
Check if your monitor's refresh rate is as...

Lutfij

Titan
You should list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU.

As for your question, technically yes since the sweet sot for Skylake and above was DDR4-3200MHz. The other side to your question could be that your OS might be corrupt, your drivers might be in need of a reinstall(or the OS) and then your motherboard might be in need of BIOS update. Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on for your motherboard?

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Hello!
Since it's only in demanding games, I could also add to the recommendations by our friend here that you should check if it happens when CPU usage just hits 100%. A friend of mine has an i5-8400 and the fact that it's not hyper-threaded is really slowing him down, especially if he is streaming in discord. For reference - me and my friend were playing together, same settings - medium - high settings in RDR2 Online targeting 50-60fps. My Ryzen 5 1600AF has went as high as 70% in the most demanding scenes, while my friend's i5-8400 has indeed caused him stutters in the same scenes.
You should also see if you are playing on borderless instead of fullscreen - that can also cause stutters.
Check if your monitor's refresh rate is as high as it can go without overclocking and check if you are using v-sync.
Every game has it's own optimisation issues and sometimes it's not only hardware's fault.
Hope this helps!

Solution

karolos bizos

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
You should list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU.

As for your question, technically yes since the sweet sot for Skylake and above was DDR4-3200MHz. The other side to your question could be that your OS might be corrupt, your drivers might be in need of a reinstall(or the OS) and then your motherboard might be in need of BIOS update. Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on for your motherboard?
thanks for the reply
CPU: I5-8600K
Motherboard: H310M H 2.0
SSD: Samsung 860 evo 500gb
GPU: RX 5700XT
PSU: corsair CX750 and it's less that 2 years old
chassis: Sharkoon TG4 blue
Version: 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Now I did update the bios from F2 to F12. the most recent was an F14a but when i clicked on the link it said page not found but then again on the notes about the update it didnt mention anything related to my problem. Now that i think about it you didnt really ask me to update so sorry about that

karolos bizos

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
Hello!
Check if your monitor's refresh rate is as high as it can go without overclocking and check if you are using v-sync.
Every game has it's own optimisation issues and sometimes it's not only hardware's fault.
Hope this helps!
hello!
ill be sure to check it out, glad to see some people enjoy red dead online. But although it is a very demanding gamei dont the 8600k should have any bottleneck issues since its pretty "strong". Also, idk if you also have this but there is a bug where if i set the game to fullscreen when i tab out it just automatically reverts back to windowed borderless.