Could someone explain this to me?

Hello.

Earlier, I ran Seagate's HDD tester to test for issues.

Both times I tried this I got the blue screen of death saying "video_tdr_failure (atikmpag.sys)" What actually caused this error and is there a SAFE way of checking the HDD for errors without getting the BSOD.

Thanks!

Solution
I would think that a video timeout on while running a hard drive test would indicate that the video driver needed to page in something from the hard drive but the hard drive was too busy to get to the request before the video system hit its timeout and called a bugcheck. you can google "TDR registry key" to look up how to change the timeout using regedit.exe
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17186638/modifying-registry-to-increase-gpu-timeout-windows-7

then delete the key when you are done running the hard drive test

here is info from the link:
TdrDelay
Specifies the number of seconds that the GPU can delay the preempt request from the GPU scheduler. This is effectively the timeout threshold. The default value is 2 seconds.

KeyPath...

Hello, thanks for the reply mate. I have got the latest AMD drivers for my G-Card.

What I think happened is that while it was testing (150mb/s) the harddrive, it messed with the graphics card drivers which crashed the system. Do you think this is what happened?

Thanks.

I haven't got the issue as I uninstalled the software so I think it was the software. I couldn't complete the test because of the blue screen of death...

Thanks for your help though mate.

I would think that a video timeout on while running a hard drive test would indicate that the video driver needed to page in something from the hard drive but the hard drive was too busy to get to the request before the video system hit its timeout and called a bugcheck. you can google "TDR registry key" to look up how to change the timeout using regedit.exe
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17186638/modifying-registry-to-increase-gpu-timeout-windows-7

then delete the key when you are done running the hard drive test

here is info from the link:
TdrDelay
Specifies the number of seconds that the GPU can delay the preempt request from the GPU scheduler. This is effectively the timeout threshold. The default value is 2 seconds.

KeyPath : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
KeyValue : TdrDelay
ValueType : REG_DWORD
ValueData : Number of seconds to delay. 2 seconds is the default value.

Solution