Question Could Someone Please Assist With My OC'ing? TIA

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Im about to run a stress test with Cinebench and Ill update with the results.

SPECS:
Case - NZXT S340VR Elite (CA-S340W-B3)

EVGA - SuperNOVA 550 G2 80+ GOLD 550W Fully Modular

Motherboard - MSI B350 TOMAHAWK Gaming ATX

Hard Drive - Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA 6GB/s 64MB Cache

Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor w/ Wraith Spire Cooler | Currently set at 3725MHz | Core Voltage 1.328V

GPU - GIGABYTE GEforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 128 Bit

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4

BIOS Brand: American Megatrends INC
BIOS Version: 1.M0 - AMD AGESA PINNACLE PI-AM4 1.0.0.6
BIOS Date: 01/23/2019

Intended Use: I built this PC in 2016. Nothing crazy then, even more outdated now. I sell full time online, so it does what I need it to for the most part. Currently piecing together a new build, but I DO NOT game on this PC. Mainly (90%) using it for work related stuff like: Lots of tabs open within Chrome & Running different software's. The 10% would be very light video editing for game clips (Xbox Series X) for a highlight type montage'

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
No intention of being rude but your post begs the question of why do you need assistance?

Explain why overclocking is needed.

Are you planning to sell the system?

More information needed.

Just for better overall performance and just viewing it as a learning experience. Like I said in the post, Im currently piecing together a more powerful PC and I would like a better understanding of overclocking in general even if my day-to-day operations wouldn't really see any benefits from doing so.

Selling the system isn't out of the question. Sometime between now and when I finish my other build Ill decide what to do with my current build, but Im not sure why whether or not I want to sell has anything to do with overclocking? Wouldn't the fact it HAS been OC'ed not be a deterrent for someone in the market for a completed build? Id rather by a bone stock vehicle from someone rather than trusting their ability to turn a wrench on that new CAI install that gave them 150HP ( lol )

___

I finished a short stress test (30-40min) and the temps topped out at 81.3c

Ralston18

Titan
Just for better overall performance and just viewing it as a learning experience. Like I said in the post, Im currently piecing together a more powerful PC and I would like a better understanding of overclocking in general even if my day-to-day operations wouldn't really see any benefits from doing so.

Selling the system isn't out of the question. Sometime between now and when I finish my other build Ill decide what to do with my current build, but Im not sure why whether or not I want to sell has anything to do with overclocking? Wouldn't the fact it HAS been OC'ed not be a deterrent for someone in the market for a completed build? Id rather by a bone stock vehicle from someone rather than trusting their ability to turn a wrench on that new CAI install that gave them 150HP ( lol )

___

I finished a short stress test (30-40min) and the temps topped out at 81.3c

maybe i could help? but same as what ralson spoke, for what? but if you dont mind i could help you ^^

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
If my computer freezes during Cinebench multicore stress test where should I start troubleshooting? Its not blue screening. It just freezes/locks and none of my peripherals respond.

Currently my CPU 38.25MHz and voltage 1.32v

maybe i could help? but same as what ralson spoke, for what? but if you dont mind i could help you ^^

Basically the same answer I gave Ralson. Just to get a better understanding of the the process, components, and numbers around the entirety of the process.

I dont know much about the process, obviously. I know you can cause irreversible damage if you get too wild. So more so than anything else I mainly read into what NOT to do versus what I should do since you cant copy someones settings even if you have the same components. I figured I would learn what not to do before tinkering.

Not to come off as sounding rude or annoyed, but why is my intended use relevant if I just want better overall performance in general? If better performance is available regardless of intended use, why does the intended use matter?

Currently my CPU 38.25MHz and voltage 1.32v
thats a good one for 3.8 all core, how about the ram, have you overclock it?

If my computer freezes during Cinebench multicore stress test where should I start troubleshooting? Its not blue screening. It just freezes/locks and none of my peripherals respond.
try to update the bios to the latest, load optimized defaults, increase cpu voltage at 1.35v and increase the SOC Voltage to 1.15v

Last edited:
Im about to run a stress test with Cinebench and Ill update with the results.

SPECS:
Case - NZXT S340VR Elite (CA-S340W-B3)

EVGA - SuperNOVA 550 G2 80+ GOLD 550W Fully Modular

Motherboard - MSI B350 TOMAHAWK Gaming ATX

Hard Drive - Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA 6GB/s 64MB Cache

Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor w/ Wraith Spire Cooler | Currently set at 3725MHz | Core Voltage 1.328V

GPU - GIGABYTE GEforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 128 Bit

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4

BIOS Brand: American Megatrends INC
BIOS Version: 1.M0 - AMD AGESA PINNACLE PI-AM4 1.0.0.6
BIOS Date: 01/23/2019

Intended Use: I built this PC in 2016. Nothing crazy then, even more outdated now. I sell full time online, so it does what I need it to for the most part. Currently piecing together a new build, but I DO NOT game on this PC. Mainly (90%) using it for work related stuff like: Lots of tabs open within Chrome & Running different software's. The 10% would be very light video editing for game clips (Xbox Series X) for a highlight type montage'
Thoughts.
Leave the OC'ing alone you can open a can of worms.

Get a ssd for the OS and apps.
Get the proper bios and drivers.
Don't run unneeded background stuff.

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
thats a good one for 3.8 all core, how about the ram, have you overclock it?

try to update the bios to the latest, load optimized defaults, increase cpu voltage at 1.35v and increase the SOC Voltage to 1.15v

The BIOS version I have now is the most recent stable version (If that matters?)
The most recent version has a release date of 1-10-2022 and states its a BETA Version

Ill wait for your reply before trying the specs you stated

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Thoughts.
Leave the OC'ing alone you can open a can of worms.

Get a ssd for the OS and apps.
Get the proper bios and drivers.
Don't run unneeded background stuff.

For the OC'ing reply, Im noting every change I make so I can revert back if/when needed.

I got you. I think I do have the latest stable bios for my Mobo. The only more recent update is a beta version I think targeted for W11 users. I downloaded the drivers from the MSI website, but when looking at device manager and clicking "Update Driver" it says I have the most recent drivers installed already

The BIOS version I have now is the most recent stable version (If that matters?)
The most recent version has a release date of 1-10-2022 and states its a BETA Version

Ill wait for your reply before trying the specs you stated
I just checked the latest one is the beta correct? that's fine, try to update that. keeping the bios to the latest is kinda win win situation, you get compability and overclocking and bug issues done, while also increasing the mobo capability itself.

Ok, I will download and update BIOS to the most recent version (BETA).

Thanks!
I don't know about MSi for now, but asrock is now releasing agesa 1.2.0.3-1.2.0.5 update to 300 series, maybe MSi would do the same, keep updated. Because my friends on B450M Steel Legend is now using the latest bios could do 4x8GB 3600mhz cl16 @1.4v stable. Before he couldn't even reach 3200mhz wether it's xmp or manual loose timing. He used to use R5 2600, and after using 5600G the ram was able to be overclocked CL16 same timing as when it is still 2 sticks only, which is a surprise. So yeah, keep the bios updated because it could improve the motherboard itself :D

ERic1953

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Hi:
Like one of the guys earlier questioned why you are wanting to OC your system, I am asking the same question. You have indicated that the system meets 90% of your needs. I was going to recommend that you beef up your ram but you already have enough ram.

There's an old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

TRENDING THREADS