Could someone please help me with my frames on BF4 it keeps on freezing?

whufc12

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Hi guys,

I recently upgraded my GPU and my CPU to play mostly BF4, with the GPU being a GTX 970 and my CPU being an i5 2400.

But even after these upgrade i am finding out that my game still freezes and is very jumpy whilst playing, here is some of my information that used MSI Afterburner to get: http://prntscr.com/5xv4gi with the graphics settings of : http://prntscr.com/5xv9yj .

As you will see from the GPU usage graph, it goes up and down a lot and quite frequently, when it drops that is when it freezes for a second and then goes back to normal for a bit.

Not quite sure why it is doing this,could someone please help me. Thanks :)

whufc12

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

Which CPU would you recommend? I only have the H61 chipset meaning i can only have the 2nd gen Intel Cpus... i think

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not 100% sure I agree. Nothing is maxed out except for the GPU. But I would expect that with V-Sync off. Temperatures seem to be within spec for both parts.

Give V-Sync a try and see how it does. It might be that trying to do more then 60FPS is causing throttling issues. The GPU is surprisingly cool, seems a bit off really

Try a benchmark like furmark that uses 100% of the GPU and see what it does. Make sure to monitor core voltage and clock frequency.

What kind of power supply do you have?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

BIOS update would likely allow for the installation of 3rd gen CPUs as well. Check the manufacturer's website.

whufc12

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

A CoolerMaster V650, could i speak to you on Teamspeak or something?

jdcranke07

Honorable
If it is the GPU it is only because it is pushing frame rates really high. Like Eximo said, test with V-Sync on and if it's doing the same thing the I bet it's because you have a bottleneck. Since your CPU in the first pics was saying your CPU temps were in the 70'C range and they were between 70% and 80% usage and your GPU was only at 50% and about 44'C

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not anywhere I can get to a teamspeak at the moment.

Power supply is more then adequate. Now those look like proper GPU temperatures under load which rules out power or other GPU related issues.

One way to explain your first screenshots would be a CPU bottleneck, but it doesn't seem right. i5-2400 has decent performance if not the best ever, but it never maxed out any individual CPU core totally. Though all cores do edge very close to maxing out.

Temperatures are consistent for the CPU as well, so it is not likely to be throttling. Though that is a possibility. Not sure if I know of a charting tool that will show CPU frequency over time.

Seems to be two opinions on the matter in general. The processor is fast enough, but only offers PCIe 2.0. GTX970 might require a PCIe 3.0 slot between it and the CPU for maximum performance. A 3rd Gen CPU would give you PCIe 3.0 capability.

jdcranke07

Honorable
It could be a voltage issue. Not the PSU that is for certain, but maybe the card was made slightly off and requires just a bit of added voltage to stabilize. Typically this doesn't happen, but could explain the unstable OC feeling while everything else is fine.

Do you have another GPU to swap with and test to see if the problem persists?

whufc12

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

Nope i sold my old one :( I'm still having the problem and cannot find a solution

jdcranke07

Honorable

If it is the same card and you can't acquire another one to swap with, then you really can't rule out the GPU. You would have to get another GPU to see if it will work the same or better to rule it out. If there is no improvement then it's either the CPU or mobo itself. Unfortunately, this will not be an easy or cheap fix. Unless you either lower or up the voltage of the GPU and see if it becomes stable or you can just put the GPU in another slot if you haven't done that just yet.