[SOLVED] Could someone recommend a processor that is both fast but runs cool

paulofheaven

Commendable
Mar 14, 2018
All I seem to see nowadays is processors that seem to favor power over efficiency. I currently run a 6950x extreme edition and it runs fast but cool with my corsair aio.
Is there any processor that is out now either amd or intel that would provide superior noticeable performance but not dramatically increase the cpu temperature if i were to upgrade to a liquid cooling loop. I realize i'm probably out of luck with pci 4.0 on the intel side for a unknown amount of time due to intel not supporting it yet.
If you need me to provide any additional information please let me know.

Solution
Define "performance"
Do you have a budget?

If you are now running fast, but cool, I imagine that you are looking for a more capable processor more than one that runs cooler.
If you have a well threaded app that can use more than the 20 cores/threads that you now have, there are some processors out there with more.
Threadripper 3990X with 64 threads, for instance.
Many single apps will be increasingly limited by the single thread performance of the master thread.
Look up amdahl's law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law

If you have a need for single core speed, the current intel i9-9900ks will run all 16 threads at 5.0.
Yes, you will need a good cooler.

Whatever, Intel is due to launch 10th gen processors which are...

kanewolf

Titan
All I seem to see nowadays is processors that seem to favor power over efficiency. I currently run a 6950x extreme edition and it runs fast but cool with my corsair aio.
Is there any processor that is out now either amd or intel that would provide superior noticeable performance but not dramatically increase the cpu temperature if i were to upgrade to a liquid cooling loop. I realize i'm probably out of luck with pci 4.0 on the intel side for a unknown amount of time due to intel not supporting it yet.
If you need me to provide any additional information please let me know.
What do you need? More cores? Faster single core speed? More memory bandwidth? You have 10cores and quad channel memory. If your application only scales to 6 cores, then you can improve efficiency. BUT you may lose memory bandwidth which would offset your performance gains. Without knowing your application(s) there is no informed guidance.

Reactions: EndEffeKt_24
Define "performance"
Do you have a budget?

If you are now running fast, but cool, I imagine that you are looking for a more capable processor more than one that runs cooler.
If you have a well threaded app that can use more than the 20 cores/threads that you now have, there are some processors out there with more.
Threadripper 3990X with 64 threads, for instance.
Many single apps will be increasingly limited by the single thread performance of the master thread.
Look up amdahl's law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law

If you have a need for single core speed, the current intel i9-9900ks will run all 16 threads at 5.0.
Yes, you will need a good cooler.

Whatever, Intel is due to launch 10th gen processors which are likely to perform better and run cool.

Lastly, have you considered workstation setups with dual processors.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS