Question Could something go wrong?

sagar26602

Prominent
Feb 18, 2018
Hey there
My cpu would run at around 79.1 degrees when I am playing games (not full load ) even after underclocking it to 3.2 GHz. I looked up online for solutions and i read that if the cpu voltage was over compensating it would result in more heat so I decided to undervolt it from 1.3 volts to 1.165 through amd overdrive(bios won't change the volts for some reason). After doing so I managed to get 33 degress when at idle and 57 to 60 degrees when I am playing(within thermal margin as per overdrive) and also to my surprise I was able to clock it at about 3.4 to 3.5 GHz while still getting 38 at idle and 60 under partial load. My pc would crash if I push for 3.7 GHz.

My specs
AMD FX 8350
GTX 960 2 GB
8 GB 1866 mhz
Msi 970 gaming Mobo
Vs 550 psu

*Note
1.I am using the amd stock cooler which is pretty bad
2.If I don't enable overdrive after boot up the temps would be 55 to 65 at very low load
3.all third party softwares show my cpu frequency at 3.5 GHz but my task manager shows it at around 3.8 to 4

Any input would be appreciated

Lutfij

Titan
First, that is not a PSU - it should be replaced with something more reliable if you want to continue using that platform.

Second, that CPU itself is not something you should be working with in this day and age.

Third, the stock cooler is why you're getting those temps. A larger aftermarket cooler would alleviate the temps though at this point of time anything you drop on that platform is negative return on investments.

Fourth, what app's have you used to monitor your CPU frequencies?

sagar26602

Prominent
Feb 18, 2018
  1. The psu is from Corsair which is pretty reliable, I have been running it for 4 years and nothing has gone wrong with it
  2. Though the cpu is old it is more than enough for my day to day tasks and gaming(I get a consistent 150 fps on fortnite at low to med settings and it never drops below 80)
  3. I put it in the description that my stock cooler is pretty bad and I obviously know that's because I am getting high temps hence the underclocking
  4. I used cpuz , occt , speccy and amd overdrive..all of them show the same frequencies and I am pretty sure they are right
  5. Thank you for pretty much nothing..you are basically asking me to spend money on a new cpu psu and cooler..answer my question

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
My recommendation if you want to keep using that build, would be to get a good quality cooler like the this one, and then run the CPU at it's full factory speed. That way you don't have to worry about overheating, and you get the benefit of the full performance of the CPU.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
when was the last time the thermal paste was replaced? if it hasn't been replaced in awhile Id start there.. I use stock AMD coolers and always have never had issues. as well I had a FX6300 , I know not same chip but I did have mien oc to 4.1Ghz stable with STOCK cooler.. I did have a Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo installed but found my Temp readings were very so off with this cooler I was worried the CPU would damage itself ( I was seeing temps of 2°C threw HWmonitor and 3rd party apps) as well threw AMD over drive thermal thresholds of 50°C + … so I put back the stock cooler for more reliable
temperature readings , which for that CPU never exceeded 60 degree

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Third, the stock cooler is why you're getting those temps. A larger aftermarket cooler would alleviate the temps though at this point of time anything you drop on that platform is negative return on investments.
I wouldn't agree with this. Ive always used stock coolers with AMD as they have normaly always been made for a step higher CPU so they tend to work quite well. of course bigger coolers will cool more, but I dont think such high temps could be blamed on a stock cooler. I use stock cooler on my Ryzen and under full load (for extended periods ) I'm lucky to hit 62°C when I had my FX6300 it was similar.. never have I had a AMD with stock cooler hit 70°C.. maybe I have just been lucky..

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
personaly Id make sure 1.. no crap and dust stuck in heat fins.. 2 id clean CPU cooler fan etc.. make sure no dust.. and 3 depending on when last done.. Id reapply new thermal paste.. then id see if it helped.. if that has all been done.. well maybe bigger cooler.. I just dont see why that would now be an issue if it hasn't in the past though...

Reactions: sagar26602

sagar26602

Prominent
Feb 18, 2018
when was the last time the thermal paste was replaced? if it hasn't been replaced in awhile Id start there.. I use stock AMD coolers and always have never had issues. as well I had a FX6300 , I know not same chip but I did have mien oc to 4.1Ghz stable with STOCK cooler.. I did have a Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo installed but found my Temp readings were very so off with this cooler I was worried the CPU would damage itself ( I was seeing temps of 2°C threw HWmonitor and 3rd party apps) as well threw AMD over drive thermal thresholds of 50°C + … so I put back the stock cooler for more reliable
I replaced the thermal paste a couple of days ago and instantly gave me better temps..
Update
I was able to run at 3.8 GHz with 1.18 volts while still keeping peak temps at 65 degrees.
I think the default bios settings for my board are over compensating with higher volts hence the 80 degrees earlier
I replace the thermal paste two days back and got better idle temps and after undervolting the cpu I was able to peak at around 65 degrees.
Going to push for 4 GHz now.
I am going to get an after market cooler next year(or maybe a new laptop as I am going to college).
Thanks for the advice though except for that lutfij coz he pissed me off

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
FX chips seem to act strange with Aftermarket coolers.. or at least in my experience, with my own I was getting readings threw both HWmonitor and AMD overdrive that I dont believe were even possible.. like 2°c in HWmonitor and AMD overdrive showing thermal thresholds under FULL load to more than 55°C.. this is the reason I put back the stock cooler.. so then at least the Temp readings were accurate.. you may very well experience similar.. I personally wouldn't replace the cooler if you can get the CPU to where you want it (4Ghz) and keep temp below 70.. you would be fine

sagar26602

Prominent
Feb 18, 2018
FX chips seem to act strange with Aftermarket coolers.. or at least in my experience, with my own I was getting readings threw both HWmonitor and AMD overdrive that I dont believe were even possible.. like 2°c in HWmonitor and AMD overdrive showing thermal thresholds under FULL load to more than 55°C.. this is the reason I put back the stock cooler.. so then at least the Temp readings were accurate.. you may very well experience similar.. I personally wouldn't replace the cooler if you can get the CPU to where you want it (4Ghz) and keep temp below 70.. you would be fine
I think I found the solution to my problem.
My motherboards voltages were screwed up. it was giving my cpu 1.4 volts for some reason which caused overheating. While using overdrive , it suggested me to keep my voltage below 1.21 volts and with that I was able to get 4.1 GHz with good temps.
All the reviews about the stock cooler of the FX chips state that it's pretty bad as the fan is really small hence rotates at higher rpm with a lot of noise.
Thanks though for providing input
Appreciate it