Could Stephen Elop Be the Next CEO of Microsoft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
I'd rather see some young blood in there. While I think Nokia makes great phones, the direction they have taken for the past three years hasn't been a market cracker - they've been producing solid, not very flashy devices with great cameras while the other major companies are releasing devices that throw around a bunch of flashy gimmicks that 95% of the userbase never uses and making thinner phones which are less durable and have les battery life, but they seem a lot cooler. This "produce a solid product and it will" sell mentality makes for a good product, but they're trying to sell a steak without the sizzle - the masses don't take notice.

However much it isn't what I'm looking for when buying a smartphone - and I DO want to emphasize to Nokia/MS that an accessible file system IS one of those things - they've got to make their devices flashy and cool if people are going to flock to them in the phone market. Nokia phones for the past three years have been very solid devices that would work wonderfully for a lot of people but they haven't had that cool/flashy image of the Apple and Samsung devices.

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
if he will become the ceo of microsoft there will be many lawsuits to prove he didnt plunge NOKIA into chaos and misfortune, so microsoft could buy it for a lower price, and then become microsoft ceo, since hes been with Nokia its stocks dropped from around 10 usd to around 4 usd

Elop would be a HUGE improvement for Microsoft from a PR perspective. Balmer is good at what he does, but he comes off as being a beer drinking, football loving, trailer park American whenever he is seen in public. Elop is the opposite. He is a quiet class act who spent the last 3 years taking a failing company and turning it to at least a neutral ground on the path to profitability in an industry which is dominated by the likes of Samsung, Apple, and a growing number of Chinese vendors. That has been no small task at all.

But, the best thing that I like about Elop is that he has an understanding on pricing for the market. Microsoft products are typically not bad, but they are priced allong the lines of Apple products while not being Apple products. Elop understood that if the Lumia line was to take off then it needed quality products that have low overhead so that they could undercut the market. So we get Samsung priced devices that feel like they have a much better build quality, and have grown a reputation of being indestructible. I would like to see this philosophy come to Microsoft above all else. Xbox should be priced the same as the PS4 and focus on making their money on accessories and software sales. Surface RT should be practically given away to get a hardware base in place which is forced to purchase apps in the app store. Surface Pro devices can be a little more expensive, but they should not be consistently $1-200 above their competition. I think that if MS really wants to transition to a device and service company then they really need to focus on hitting these price targets rather than looking at it from a profit per sale perspective like they are use to. But this is something that the MS board will not stand for, so I am not sure that Elop will be able to fix this particular issue even if he is placed in the CEO seat.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
The next microsoft ceo voting site should really think about removing the ridiculous candidates. I guess it's entirely intended to be a joke site.

elop is seen as a candidate because the outgoing ceo is ballmer. he wouldn't be chosen if the predecessor was someone competent. :p

when elop went to nokia i thought ballmer would be nokiasoft's ceo. too bad ballmer got kicked out first.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007

I see where you're coming from, but something like that is hard to prove. If that is what happened, I find it hard to believe he (and Microsoft!) would be so stupid as to leave evidence behind. Without evidence, it's just a case of another CEO missing the mark. Happens all the time. It would be AWESOME drama, though. I love tech drama.

Nokia was in chaos and misfortune before he was brought on board. In fact, he was brought on board in large part to stop the chaos and misfortune. It is clear that he hasn't been able to reverse Nokia's fortunes, but he may also be responsible for keeping the company out of bankruptcy.

Bolts Romano

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
buy over Nokia? why should MS buy Nokia from strategical point of view?
1. Nokia already lost its present in Network Infrastructure (Many telcos use to use Nokia equipment to support the network , but for the last decade the trends no longer w Nokia)
2. Nokia lost its ground on lower cost phone to China, people jokingly China already produced new handset while the executive in Nokia still in discussion what phone should they produce
3. Does Nokia still have the good people inside? That is a big questions since Nokia already stop all Nokia core OS development and move to WP8 which basically tell Nokia employee to build phone only.

The only beneficial part for MS to buy over Nokia is for the intellectual property which sorry to say no longer at the edge of technology so what ip will MS have?
Google bough over Moto, where is Moto now? Google still engage asus or Lg to build Nexus and not Moto

Another billion dollar write off for MS? maybe if the new CEO has no idea what to do with phone maker (shows the new MS CEO put more focus on MS as software company) or a new CEO as energetic as Steve Job which will propel MS into another company like Apple at the cost of losing the Enterprise solution.

Remember CEO is human he can not be good on both segment markets, Enterprise customers where MS very strong at with the Backend Solution and great support from developer or Mass Market oriented customers like what Apple and Samsung

Bolts Romano

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
buy over Nokia? why should MS buy Nokia from strategical point of view?
1. Nokia already lost its present in Network Infrastructure (Many telcos use to use Nokia equipment to support the network , but for the last decade the trends no longer w Nokia)
2. Nokia lost its ground on lower cost phone to China, people jokingly China already produced new handset while the executive in Nokia still in discussion what phone should they produce
3. Does Nokia still have the good people inside? That is a big questions since Nokia already stop all Nokia core OS development and move to WP8 which basically tell Nokia employee to build phone only.

The only beneficial part for MS to buy over Nokia is for the intellectual property which sorry to say no longer at the edge of technology so what ip will MS have?
Google bough over Moto, where is Moto now? Google still engage asus or Lg to build Nexus and not Moto

Another billion dollar write off for MS? maybe if the new CEO has no idea what to do with phone maker (shows the new MS CEO put more focus on MS as software company) or a new CEO as energetic as Steve Job which will propel MS into another company like Apple at the cost of losing the Enterprise solution.

Remember CEO is human he can not be good on both segment markets, Enterprise customers where MS very strong at with the Backend Solution and great support from developer or Mass Market oriented customers like what Apple and Samsung

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Quick! Someone make a sitcom out of this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.