Could the BIOS be at fault?

EatinLikeReptar

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
I recently bought a ASUS ROG-STRIX Z370-E Gaming motherboard because I had an issue with flashing BIOS on an MSI Board. After rebuilding my PC with an 8th gen i7 on the ASUS board the red CPU LED on the board would stay on and wouldn't post, no fans spun or anything. I thought it was a faulty CPU cable from my PSU or poorly seated memory. After trying different things I thought maybe to switch out the CPU for an 8th gen i5. After rebuilding it again and swapping the CPU out, the system turned on fine and i was able to boot into windows. I checked ASUS's website to see what the latest BIOS version for my board was and I noticed that my board was shipped with version 0615 and the latest version being 1002 with a note attached that read "Support the latest 8th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor." I thought maybe that's what the problem was but the i5-8600 works fine on the 0615 build. So is it really the BIOS or is my i7 possibly not working anymore? :(

PC Specs

• ASUS ROG-STRIX Z370-E
    8th Gen i5-8600
    Kraken x52 AIO cooler (also thought that maybe the cpu was doing a cooling failsafe)
    8x2 Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 Memory
    Geforce GTX1080ti
    Corsair RM750x PSU

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It could be the BIOS, or it could be a faulty CPU.

The BIOS update is certainly worth trying, although any 300 series motherboard should support all 8th Gen chips out of the box.

Inspect the CPU socket for any bent pins too. Unlikely, as the i5 works.... but never hurts to check.

EatinLikeReptar

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016

I checked up and down for bent pins but all of them were perfectly okay. I might just test out the CPU in the morning. It's been almost a month since I used it because of MSI's timely RMA process. Hopefully it wasn't my i7 that actually caused my issues.

Update: Tried swapping out the i5 for the i7 after updating BIOS and no luck, seems like i have a dead i7 now. Might frame it now to remind me of darker days haha.