Question Could the HDD be making my recordings replay like this??

propigeon

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
Hello everyone,
PLEASE HELP, THIS IS MAKING ME GO NUTS
I started making Apex Legends videos for my youtube channel lately. I downloaded OBS to do the recordings, which it took 2 days for me to get it to work flawlessly and record 1440p 60fps footage without stutter and without problems.
For a little less than two weeks, the recordings were all fine and I could 7 videos in perfect quality, but after that something just went wrong. I have no idea what could have happened, becouse as far as I remember, I didn't change any settings on anything. The recordings started to stutter again. Hard. One recording (1hour+) even got so bad it was just some weird blocks of colors for the whole period.
It has been another week of me trying to figure it out, and now I'm lost in what might be the issue. I seeked all kinds of forums for help, improved my recording settings, and did all I could to fix the stutter.
The Issue I have now is very weird. After recording, the footage now (after changing my settings in obs to the following:
  • rate_control: CQP
  • bitrate: 0
  • cqp: 17
  • keyint: 120
  • preset: mq
  • profile: high
  • width: 2560
  • height: 1440
  • 2-pass: true
  • b-frames: 2
  • lookahead: true
  • psycho_aq: true
  • Since I don't think I can attach my obs logfile here, I'll write my PC specs here too - i7 8700k, RTX 2070S, 16gb 3200mhz. Game running on 120hz 120fps while recording.)
seems to be good, but then whenever I try to play the video with VLC media player (supposedly latest version) it can't play the video correctly and stutters, even the sounds go off sometime. But then here's what makes me go mad - sometimes when I try to play the footage, it's perfectly fine, like what the actual #&$! ?? Same when I import the media to my video editing program - sometimes the footage is fine, sometimes it goes nuts with the stutter and with the sound going further then the video. Sometimes in the video editing program or in VLC half of the footage is fine, and then it just starts the stutter and sound desync again.
I think something might be faulty in my system or maybe something is just not fast enough, I have no idea at this point and I'm confused to hell with it. I've had to stop making the compilations becouse I don't want to output stuttery gameplay on the channel.
I tought it might be that I'm using a cheap drive to record my videos to and edit them from, it's a Toshiba 1TB 64MB HDWD110UZSVA 7200rpm HDD. I wanted to get nvme storage anyways, but not necessairly, if you guys tell me it will likely fix my issue, I'll grab 1,5 TB of samsung 970 evo plus (1x1tb 1x500gb) and just re-do my system on those and record footage to the 1tb one. Would that help?
My Win, vlc, obs and editing software are on my C drive which is an old (~5yrs old) samsung 120gb SSD. I record and edit footage directly from the HDD. As I said earlier, I was able to use this setup and produce great quality videos for about 10 days. Might it be that my hdd failed in some kinda way? After the terrible stuttering started again I realized that my HDD was almost already full from all the footage I recorded, so when it had about 90gbs of the 1tb left, I made a folder to all the finished videos and deleted all the raw footage to replenish its storage - tought it might remove the stutter, but it didnt.
Also, the footage I make right now with obs has about 2% fps drops seen in the logfile, but I think that's acceptable for quality. I do think that it didn't have any dropped frames when I first started making the videos tho.
ASK ME ANYTHING, I'LL PROVIDE ANY INFO THAT COULD HELP, I NEED TO GET THIS FIXED ASAP
Thank you!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS