Could the motherboard be my problem, Graphical glitch

Oct 15, 2018
PC build from 2012

Motherboard: X79A-GD65 (8D)

CPU: i7-3820 @3.6 GHz

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GAMING OC (other 1080 and 1080 ti have not worked either when I have tried, my old 680 and my now broken 780 work though)

RAM: 16gb DDR3

Storage: 120 GB ssd, 2x 1tb HDD

Power Supply: OCZ ZS 750W

Operating system: Windows 10

whenever I try to boot the PC with one of the newer graphics cards it takes 5+ minutes to boot and gets adverse graphical bugs, I have tried with another PSU supplying the system, and the 1080 is a GPU I KNOW works because it's been working well in my fathers PC before I tried it and it still works after I tried it, the 1080 ti and 2080 were both new and I doubt both have come broken to me.

I have also tried the different PCI-e slots on the motherboard and booted into linux on a USB stick in the case of windows acting up. Neither have worked, I have surely tried other things I have forgotten as well, so the only possibility I see now is the motherboard being broken. Could this be the case?

Lutfij

Titan
I would ask you to invest in a quality PSU. The OCZ units weren't what most would call reliable. Given it's also over 4 years old, it's effective power output is lower than what it first did. If you're swapping GPU's in and out, you will first need to uninstall the GPU drivers, remove the GPU while the system is powered down, drop in the GPU of your choice and then reinstall the GPU drivers after powering up the system. These steps should be followed regardless of card's maker and models.

I'd suggest you also make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

Side note, is your father's system identical to your build?

Oct 15, 2018

I have been thinking to get a new PSU but even with an 800 watt new PSU that i stole from my fathers PC it would not work, I have also uninstalled the drivers with DDU every time so don't worry about that. however I will double check my BIOS to make sure, Thanks.

Something i also forgot to mention is that no GPU will work with a DP cable, sore sure why, I'll try another cable once i get my hands on it