Question Could this be a failing power supply?

CubsWin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
Over the past few weeks, I have been experiencing increasing poor performance on my PC running Windows 10. When monitoring the task manager, I frequently see applications registering High or Very High power usage, which I have never noticed before, and it is causing a major slowdown on my PC including mouse freezing and hitches. The programs showing high power usage are not typically resource-intensive programs, as it is occurring with Google Chrome, MediaMonkey, and others. I have not yet been able to identify what is causing the spikes, but I find it strange that the power usage is showing so high.

One of the things I am wondering is whether this could be the sign of a failing power supply. My power supply is an 8+ year old Corsair HX850 that runs nearly 24/7. What should I be looking for to determine if that could be my problem? I am looking at HWMonitor, but if the readings are correct, the +12V voltage is rock solid. It is reading 12.096 V, even when under full load with Prime95. Is it possible that there could be a problem that I'm just not seeing with HWMonitor?

I'm stumped so far with this one, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Some info about my system:
i7 7700k CPU (not overclocked)
64GB RAM
ASUS 2080 Ti Video Card
2 TB NVME SSD (system drive)
4 TB SATA SSD (secondary drive)
HX850 power supply

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS