Question could this be a faulty CPU?

Apr 20, 2019
So one day my PSU decided to just die and my PC would not boot at all (the flickering light on the GPU was a give away) So I decided to purchase a new PSU (corsair 550) the light on the gpu was working fine BUT the pc would not boot, no noise, no fans spinning, nothing. So I decided to go out and purchase a new mobo along with a new case. Once I got everything in place I decided I could see the RGB on the mobo along with the lights on the other hardware connected were lighting up just fine but once I pressed the power button there was nothing, the fans weren't spinning and the PC would not boot, it was as if I never even turned the switch on the plug on (even though it clearly was) So I know it seems like a dumb question but I'm extremely new when it comes to PC's so I was wondering if it could possibly be the CPU? I know if a PSU shorts out it could potentially break something else too so I was just wondering as it's stressing me out big time

What are the rig specs? Do you have the option of running with no discrete GPU for testing purposes? (SInce you gave no specs, no way to tell if your CPU and MB support IGPU capability.

If you change PSUs, be aware that all modular PSU cables ( 24 pin, SATA power cables and GPU PCI-e supplemental power cables) should be replaced, as you do not know how they are pinned out at the PSU side, so, are not interchangeable among assorted PSUs...

Disconnect all drives (data and pwr cables), disconnect unneeded internal USB headers, make sure 4/8 pin CPU power is connected to mainboard, drop to single stick of RAM, make sure CPU fan is conbected to CPU FAN header on mainboard...

When you hit power switch, do CPU fans even twitch? Make sure PWR SW wires are connected to correct two pins on mainboard....

Apr 20, 2019
What are the rig specs? Do you have the option of running with no discrete GPU for testing purposes? (SInce you gave no specs, no way to tell if your CPU and MB support IGPU capability.

If you change PSUs, be aware that all modular PSU cables ( 24 pin, SATA power cables and GPU PCI-e supplemental power cables) should be replaced, as you do not know how they are pinned out at the PSU side, so, are not interchangeable among assorted PSUs...

Disconnect all drives (data and pwr cables), disconnect unneeded internal USB headers, make sure 4/8 pin CPU power is connected to mainboard, drop to single stick of RAM, make sure CPU fan is conbected to CPU FAN header on mainboard...

When you hit power switch, do CPU fans even twitch? Make sure PWR SW wires are connected to correct two pins on mainboard....
Apologies! My specs are: a asus prime x370-pro motherboard, an R5 2400G processor, 2x8 2400mhz ram, a GTX 1060 mini, and the PSU is not a modular unfortunately, so I might have to purchase one of those (which is a Corsair 550 watt power supply). and I've done all those steps but seems to not be doing anything, sadly there's not even a twitch, it's almost as if the PC is not even plugged in even though it is, the case itself is one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G4GRTQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 if you're curious. also I believe I did connect the PWR SW wires to the correct places as the motherboard comes with an adapter of some sort which shows you EXACTLY where to put them. I'll try again but if it comes out with the same results I might just have to try everything in an entirely new PC. because the Ram and GPU work perfectly fine as I tested them in a friends PC which is why I was kind of suspecting it could be the CPU

TRENDING THREADS