[SOLVED] Could this be a faulty disk problem or it's the motherboard/processor?

Flonne

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread
I had to format my PC and reinstall windows7 because of a small issue some days ago, i was able to do so without much problem.

Both system partition C:\\ and data partition D:\\ are logical partitions of a 1 physical disk. <--- This is important.

Almost everything worked fine except for a small thing so i decided to format and reinstall windows again. Now many software (even from microsoft) give an error 0xc0000005 when try to run it.

ZMB8d.png

wRmM1.png

Even more weird, chrome didn't show transparent icons of windows (like installers) well, instead they had black backgrounds:

iyVTprz.png

Here comes the weird stuff:

If i re-download the exact same C++ redistributable, it WILL run NORMALLY BUT WHEN I TRIED RUNNING THIS AGAIN MINUTES LATER I GOT AGAIN ERROR 0xc0000005!

eJVFV.png

It's crazy! i tried:

• Format system partition and reinstall windows 7 multiple times.
  • Run sfc /scannow.
  • Test RAM memory.
  • Restore windows 7 (even if it's a new installation) to it's most previous point.
  • Check D:\\ for errors.
  • Defragment D:\\ and C:\\ partitions.
  • Disable DEP. (can't do this for microsoft software like C++ redistributables)
No visible errors or solution.

I have other physical hard disks units but i don't get any error 0xc0000005 error in them, most of the files there are media (music, video files, games) with maybe 1-2 executable applications, but everything runs normally.

The games, the music, the files, the very few apps all work fine, the applications happened to be multiple C++ redistributables for games (which is quite convenient for testing), yet there is absolutely no 0xc0000005 error.

I have 3 suspicions:
  • Physical disk problem (both C: and D: logical disks).
  • Motherboard problem?
  • Processor problem.
What are the odds this is an HDD error instead of a motherboard or processor? No errors can be found while checking the disks.

Solution
Clean OS from microsoft ( when they offered it), saved on bootable USBs. I tried both windows 7 ultimate and windows 7 N (a version for europe).
Clean install of windows 7?
Is Service Pack 1 installed?
Are all security updates installed?

Your old software may require service pack 1 to work properly.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Your error code is indicative of a file errors, settings, and/or RAM.

What was the problem that prompted the issue a couple of days prior to this issue?
Where did you source your Win 7 installer?

It would be easy enough to test on the drive aspect, so long as you have any manner of other drive around you could format/replace current and try.
IDK how old your PC is, but it might be worthwhile to test the above on Win 10 downloaded and created directly to USB installer via Microsoft.
You could also create a live disk for Linux and boot from USB to see if the issue persists on a whole different OS platform. This could be handy if you don't meet spec for 10.

Flonne

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
Your error code is indicative of a file errors, settings, and/or RAM.

What was the problem that prompted the issue a couple of days prior to this issue?

1. Installed photoshop on C:, every time i opened it seemed to have an error with adobe bridge (but it would work).
  2. Tried to install office, it crashed every time i opened the installer.
RAM? So the HDD can't be at fault?

Clean OS from microsoft ( when they offered it), saved on bootable USBs. I tried both windows 7 ultimate and windows 7 N (a version for europe).

Both gave the errors mentioned.

IDK how old your PC is, but it might be worthwhile to test the above on Win 10 downloaded and created directly to USB installer via Microsoft.

You mean a bootable USB or install the system in a USB and run from there the OS of the PC?

I tried other windows versions but i am quite reticent on upgrade to W10, it's full of sponsored software and tracking telemetry, even if choose to disable it. I have only heard bad things about it, claiming it's essentially corporation-sponsored malware.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
  1. Installed photoshop on C:, every time i opened it seemed to have an error with adobe bridge (but it would work).
  2. Tried to install office, it crashed every time i opened the installer.
RAM? So the HDD can't be at fault?

Both gave the errors mentioned.

You mean a bootable USB or install the system in a USB and run from there the OS of the PC?

I tried other windows versions but i am quite reticent on upgrade to W10, it's full of sponsored software and tracking telemetry, even if choose to disable it. I have only heard bad things about it, claiming it's essentially corporation-sponsored malware.

Suggesting that as a "try" if you have another disk laying around you could install Win 10 to. You don't have to 'upgrade to' as it will run without being licensed for a while before throwing a watermark.

The other idea was a Linux 'live USB' where you would be running off USB.

Since these issues are so specific, I don't know if it would help for sure but we could assume that if it does go to working correctly on a new disk (or not) you would be able to eliminate that aspect of your issue.
Might be worthwhile to try (other) RAM if you have any on hand, or might know someone to borrow a stick or two from.

Have you ever OC RAM (XMP) or anything? Did you reset that to default before installing Windows again? Perhaps a BIOS/CMOS reset?

Flonne

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
Clean install of windows 7?
Is Service Pack 1 installed?
Are all security updates installed?

Your old software may require service pack 1 to work properly.

Well, the previous time installed, where no error 0xc0000005 at all before updates, but yes i installed the updates as it was a SP1 W7, even went and installed the kb3125574 which is considered the SP2 by many.

Suggesting that as a "try" if you have another disk laying around you could install Win 10 to. You don't have to 'upgrade to' as it will run without being licensed for a while before throwing a watermark.

The other idea was a Linux 'live USB' where you would be running off USB.

Since these issues are so specific, I don't know if it would help for sure but we could assume that if it does go to working correctly on a new disk (or not) you would be able to eliminate that aspect of your issue.
Might be worthwhile to try (other) RAM if you have any on hand, or might know someone to borrow a stick or two from.

I think i am going to try a live USB now, thanks for the suggestion!

If the error disappears it might be disk related, right? If it continues...i have no idea.

Have you ever OC RAM (XMP) or anything? Did you reset that to default before installing Windows again? Perhaps a BIOS/CMOS reset?

Nope, don't think so.

CMOS reset? I thought the CMOS was responsible mostly for system time and the like, could it really be something that could be fixed with a CMOS reset?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Well, the previous time installed, where no error 0xc0000005 at all before updates, but yes i installed the updates as it was a SP1 W7, even went and installed the kb3125574 which is considered the SP2 by many.

I think i am going to try a live USB now, thanks for the suggestion!

If the error disappears it might be disk related, right? If it continues...i have no idea.

Nope, don't think so.

CMOS reset? I thought the CMOS was responsible mostly for system time and the like, could it really be something that could be fixed with a CMOS reset?

I find the last part doubtful if you have never done any XMP/OC profiles and such. Just the same it's not really anything that should hurt and might also be worth the try.

Flonne

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
I find the last part doubtful if you have never done any XMP/OC profiles and such.

Why is it doubtful?

This is the first time i heard these terms, we are talking about overclocking, right? If so i have NOT and NEVER overclocked my PC, i just don't need it to run faster and break quick.

I prefer my PC to run at the speed manufacturers intended and for it to last very long.

Plus i don't play many modern games.

An update:

I did the following:

1. Ran windows from a live USB (took time...and was VERY slow to do stuff), when opened the C++ redistributables in the now non-OS disk it still gave me a 0xc0000005 error. Couldn't test more of that since it was too slow to do anything.
  2. Replaced the CMOS battery for a new one.
  3. Ran memtest86 for many hours. The result was 5 pass 0 error.
I was told i needed at least 5 passes and no errors to have an idea if the RAM if the problem, i guess this discards my RAM.

Does this mean it's neither the RAM or the disk or could the disk the problem still? Maybe i should ask a mod to move it to another subforum is disk is discarded as a possible error, or repost this in components subforum...

Flonne

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
If you have never run an XMP profile or performed any overclock or changes in your BIOS there is not a really strong reason to consider that a reset would change anything (since you didn't). It should all still be on stock parameter and assumedly not part of the issue.

I see...how may i reset it then? My bios has no option that says "reset bios".

I am sure i never overclocked it but it might worth a try since RAM was discarded as a source of errors.

I have also read the CMOS might be at fault of drivers not installing, and i noticed a very small change on my PC after change CMOS: a game that needed me to clear and re-download it's game data constantly to run after the 0xc0000005 errors started was able to run without the need to clear it and re-download.

I am going to try to re-install windows 7 too to see if drivers actually install this time with a new CMOS battery.

If it is useful for anyone that could help me troubleshoot my issue, i am pretty sure the error 0xc0000005 has the ID 10 in event viewer and this is the message i get:

RvAUBwZ.png

Flonne

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
Nothing worked.

Reinstalling windows 7 again did nothing.

So in the end i tried:
  • Tested RAM, no errors.
  • Changed CMOS battery,
  • Did a sfc/ scannow, no errors.
  • Run a live USB, error 0xc0000005 was still present in the other HDD executables.
Absolutely no idea what could it be.

Maybe it's not an HDD problem, i am going to ask on the W7 forum section.

Flonne

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
After reinstalling W7 i keep getting this problem all the time, many software (even from microsoft) give an error 0xc0000005 when try to run it from a folder saved on D:\\ HDD:

ZMB8d.png

wRmM1.png

If i re-download the exact same C++ redistributable, it WILL run NORMALLY BUT WHEN I TRIED RUNNING THIS AGAIN MINUTES LATER SUDDENLY I GOT AGAIN ERROR 0xc0000005!

eJVFV.png

It worked and then minutes later it didn't!

This is the message i get in the event viewer:

RvAUBwZ.png

I tried:

• sfc /scannow to check errors on HDD, no errors.
  • Test ram memory with memtest86+, 5 pass and 0 errors.
  • Run W7 from a live USB, i still get the error 0xc0000005 when opening those C++ distributables in the HDD.
  • Did a disk error-checking , no errors.
  • Replaced CMOS battery with a new one, in case it was a CMOS error.
  • Ran W7 multiple times removing RAM memory sticks to see if one was corruped and caused problems.
  • Reinstalled windows 7 multiple times.
Absolutely nothing worked.

USAFRet

Titan
You do realize, all that "telemetry" was backported into Win 7 long ago.

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...y-invading-windows-10-features-to-windows-7-8

https://www.theregister.com/2015/09/01/microsoft_backports_data_slurp_to_windows_78_via_patches/