Question Could this be a faulty GPU? (with image)

Oct 8, 2020
Seems only exclusive to chrome, whenever I choose to make the window of any video (whether Youtube, Twitch, etc.) this green/purple discoloration will appear for a split second before correcting itself.

Here's what it looks like: View: https://imgur.com/h15zNM9

It is a subtle issue, not really a huge deal... but this is a brand new PC, I'd like to use the warranty if I have to. Also, youtube sometimes pauses itself in the middle of a video by itself - not sure if this means anything.

Here are my specs in detail: https://valid.x86.fr/4rpge5

I have both an AMD processor/GPU - My drivers are up to date, I tried reinstalling chrome and I disabled hardware acceleration - none of these fixed it. Someone said on a steam discussion that it could possibly be a failing GPU, which has me worried.

Oct 8, 2020
Update: Turning off hardware acceleration on chrome seems to fix it- yet not sure why I'd have to disable that feature in order to not have the issue. I thought I already tried this yesterday, but maybe I didn't refresh the browser correctly.

Explanation on why I'd turn this feature off would be appreciated -hopefully it isn't something defective with the PC.

poorbugger

Distinguished
It seems to be a thing with some users having the same issue and turning off hardware acceleration fixed it. So I dont think your gpu is a goner or anything if it doesnt occur anywhere else. Perhaps just some software bug and error.

Oct 8, 2020
It seems to be a thing with some users having the same issue and turning off hardware acceleration fixed it. So I dont think your gpu is a goner or anything if it doesnt occur anywhere else. Perhaps just some software bug and error.

I have someone telling me that its a GPU issue, because hardware acceleration uses the 3D GPU clocks? Not sure what that means, but nonetheless, how would I know its a bad graphics card? I'd use the warranty now if that was the case, but for some reason this person has convinced me its a faulty card.

poorbugger

Distinguished
I have someone telling me that its a GPU issue, because hardware acceleration uses the 3D GPU clocks? Not sure what that means, but nonetheless, how would I know its a bad graphics card? I'd use the warranty now if that was the case, but for some reason this person has convinced me its a faulty card.
Well you would know it's a bad gpu if you see some artifacts (green line, dots, diamond shapes, purple lines etc) in other 3d applications such as games, benchmarks or other stress test. If you wish to play it safe, you can use your warranty. One post i read online is related to avast antivirus. Do you have any antivirus running?

Oct 8, 2020
Well you would know it's a bad gpu if you see some artifacts (green line, dots, diamond shapes, purple lines etc) in other 3d applications such as games, benchmarks or other stress test. If you wish to play it safe, you can use your warranty. One post i read online is related to avast antivirus. Do you have any antivirus running?

No, just malwarebytes really. This is only an issue when I turn hardware acceleration back on in chrome. In microsoft edge, hardware acceleration is on and it gives me no problems. I only see what was in the image above on google chrome - that being any software that has videos to watch through chrome browser. It is that same shape and pattern, like a green waffle shape taking half the screen with some purple discoloration on the left side - it goes away immediately, but its there every time I go fullscreen displaying the same exact shape and patter as seen in the image.

Now, if turning off hardware acceleration or just not using chrome altogether, there would be no issue at all. So why am I worrying so much? Well because things like this I feel can be an indication of an underlying issue with the PC. I wish I could just have a "yes/no" answer, but sadly this is too complicated.

The only worry I have with the warranty, is getting back a faulty computer again. I also changed the ram out for faster, 16 GB DDR4. I can place the original RAM back in the same slot it was in initially, but hopefully they wont void the warranty because of that.

poorbugger

Distinguished
No, just malwarebytes really. This is only an issue when I turn hardware acceleration back on in chrome. In microsoft edge, hardware acceleration is on and it gives me no problems. I only see what was in the image above on google chrome - that being any software that has videos to watch through chrome browser. It is that same shape and pattern, like a green waffle shape taking half the screen with some purple discoloration on the left side - it goes away immediately, but its there every time I go fullscreen displaying the same exact shape and patter as seen in the image.

Now, if turning off hardware acceleration or just not using chrome altogether, there would be no issue at all. So why am I worrying so much? Well because things like this I feel can be an indication of an underlying issue with the PC. I wish I could just have a "yes/no" answer, but sadly this is too complicated.

The only worry I have with the warranty, is getting back a faulty computer again. I also changed the ram out for faster, 16 GB DDR4. I can place the original RAM back in the same slot it was in initially, but hopefully they wont void the warranty because of that.
I see, so it's a prebuilt. I cant say the gpu is faulty because you only experienced this in chrome and other users are experiencing this in chrome as well. Their solution is the same with yours which is just disabling hardware acceleration. Perhaps a fresh installation of chrome again?

Oct 8, 2020
Thanks I'm just upset because I wanted a new PC for so long, finally got one and now I'm very worried that it could be defective... what to do.. what to do...