Could This Be Apple's New Miniature Dock Connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
why not just use a frickin usb 3.0 cable... srsly why be difficult it isn't like aftermarket makers aren't just going to make stuff work with it... oh right the royalties on using thier special connectors... god i hate how apple does buisness

fyend

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Stop with the proprietary crap. There is no need for it in this case. USB seems to work for everyone else, but that would cut into your selling overpriced cables and chargers I guess.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
The dock connector has much more capability than a USB cable.

For example: Video out. Many phone manufacturers either use mini HDMI + mini USB, or they just don't support it.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]fyend[/nom]Stop with the proprietary crap. There is no need for it in this case. USB seems to work for everyone else, but that would cut into your selling overpriced cables and chargers I guess.[/citation]
I believe Apple wants it to be smaller and require less internal device space to allow for slimmer devices. It also may have different power requirements to facilitate faster charging times. Just a guess on my part.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]why not just use a frickin usb 3.0 cable... [/citation] Because USB cables and connectors arent "Cool" & "Stylish" enough

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
OMG!! OMG!! New Apple stuff! ISE!! ICW!! Everybody's waiting for the weekend, weekend!

Umm... really?

I might be excited to see the pinout differences between Intel 1155 and 1150 to get a glimpse into what they might be adding or taking away. But I have about as much interest in rumored future Apple accessories as my wife has in the OEM part number on her HDD.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]eternalkp[/nom]wow, people won't be able to connect this new iphone to my car vehicle?how does this make sense? good job apple.[/citation]
It's called an adapter. Thank you

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]spartanmk2[/nom]Because USB cables and connectors arent "Cool" & "Stylish" enough[/citation]

Because USB alone will not support the ton of accessories they current have using the older 30 pin docks. Also as someone else pointed out, USB does not support audio, video, and the numerous other stuff DIRECTLY WITHOUT EXTERNAL SUPPORT as the dock port currently supports.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]fyend[/nom]Stop with the proprietary crap. There is no need for it in this case. USB seems to work for everyone else, but that would cut into your selling overpriced cables and chargers I guess.[/citation]

Umm, you can buy Apple Dock cables for $5.00 or less online and at numerous dollar store and/or budget stores. Not a big deal. If you really want an Apple branded cable of course its going to cost you...

Seriously, do you shop for Samsung or Motorola, or HP made microusb cables??????

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]why not just use a frickin usb 3.0 cable... srsly why be difficult it isn't like aftermarket makers aren't just going to make stuff work with it... oh right the royalties on using thier special connectors... god i hate how apple does buisness[/citation] Apple connector is quite a standard. Apple iOS products do a lot more than USB does. Its not a USB connector, but it does include a USB interface. The older one included firewire, A/V as well. Chargers uses a USB connector at the base end, so no... a NEW charger is not neeed, just the cable.

Also, if you ever tried using a mini-USB as a docking connector... IT SUCKS! It jams, its easy to get out of alignment, etc. Compare the DB9 or DB15 or even a USB connector to the likes of a Nintendo Gamecube... which is easier to plug in or remove?

And still... how many kids of USB connectors are there? Just on my computer alone, there are 5 DIFFERENT USB connectors!!! WTF?!

winie

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]I believe Apple wants it to be smaller and require less internal device space to allow for slimmer devices. It also may have different power requirements to facilitate faster charging times. Just a guess on my part.[/citation]
my galaxy s2 has hdmi over usb (mhl), audio over usb, usb host support and remote control.
you dont need more pins with micro usb cause you can change functionality pins by changing resistance between pin 4 and ground

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
OK I get it, the new port will have a different connector at the phone end
But what about the other end of the cable that is used? If it plugs into a USB port on your Mac or PC then it is a USB cable by definition, regardless of what people say about audio/video, therefore it must be a multiple use port capable of both USB and one or more other protocols, such as HDMI, hell maybe even Thunderbolt
I seriously doubt that they will go Thunderbolt only as the protocol as not enough computers have it yet and HDMI is an output not input, so you wouldn't be able to plug the iPhone into your graphics card to sync photos onto your PC
But as long as the additonal adapter (if they even make one) that allows you to convert from the new 16 pin back to 30 pin is relatively discrete and inexpensive it should not outrage people that have just laid out $30,000 on the Behringer iNuke Boom iPod dock
http://www.bornrich.com/expensive-ipod-docking-stations1.html

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]The dock connector has much more capability than a USB cable.For example: Video out. Many phone manufacturers either use mini HDMI + mini USB, or they just don't support it.[/citation]
Really, I guess Apple and Apple fanboys never heard about MHL [1]. It was in draft since 2008 and offical industry standard since 2010.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_High-Definition_Link

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]Because USB alone will not support the ton of accessories they current have using the older 30 pin docks. Also as someone else pointed out, USB does not support audio, video, and the numerous other stuff DIRECTLY WITHOUT EXTERNAL SUPPORT as the dock port currently supports.[/citation]
um how about USB speakers and USB monitors?

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
If the new dock connector is not USB, how does Apple intend to be allowed to sell the phone in the EU?

There is a directive that all new phones and mobile equipment must follow the USB standard for charging. Apple was giving dispensation with it's previous dock connector because it was legacy and predated the directive. I'm pretty sure they won't get another dispensation.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]Umm, you can buy Apple Dock cables for $5.00 or less online and at numerous dollar store and/or budget stores. Not a big deal. If you really want an Apple branded cable of course its going to cost you...Seriously, do you shop for Samsung or Motorola, or HP made microusb cables??????[/citation]
USB is a standard and any USB cable will work (you dont need a specific brand).
Apples cable is proprietary and much harder to find. Not too mention USB is universal and now the standard port for every other portable electronic device out there beside apple products. For people that don't stay tied to one brand, having that extra flexibility of not worrying about comparability with new accessories is very helpful.

[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]If the new dock connector is not USB, how does Apple intend to be allowed to sell the phone in the EU?There is a directive that all new phones and mobile equipment must follow the USB standard for charging. Apple was giving dispensation with it's previous dock connector because it was legacy and predated the directive. I'm pretty sure they won't get another dispensation.[/citation]
That was exactly what I was thinking. I thought there was a requirement like that instated in the EU (at least) but I wasn't sure. Now that you mentioned it as well, I am. Very curious how Apple will pull this one on the EU market.
I believe this got instated back when mini-USB was the standard, and then micro-USB followed, just because it's also a universal port that is using the same USB standard.
Or maybe it just have to comply with one end of the cable, that's why there are now power adapters that output in a USB port.
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]Umm, you can buy Apple Dock cables for $5.00 or less online and at numerous dollar store and/or budget stores. Not a big deal. If you really want an Apple branded cable of course its going to cost you...Seriously, do you shop for Samsung or Motorola, or HP made microusb cables??????[/citation]
Problem is, a LOT of iSomething stations/peripherals use an actual docking, meaning you have to stand the device on the dock. Adding a cable between the device and the peripheral defeats the purpose of that design, not to mention in some cases it may even make it physically incompatible, given that some of these peripherals have set dimensions to enclose or otherwise host the iDevice that's plugged in. One example (out of many): the JBL speaker dock, the iPod has to stand on the dock, otherwise it becomes cumbersome to access. And there are plenty examples like that... Being in denial about it doesn't make it go away.

G

I am going to patent making proprietary connections and sue their asses off. Also, MHL and USB3 are far superior to anything Apple has or will spew out.

brianmoz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
whenever i get frustrated with apple and think of becoming an apple hater I read these ignorant yet condescending apple hater comments and change my mind immediately.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]leeashton[/nom]um how about USB speakers and USB monitors?[/citation]

I guess you missed this point in my post "USB does not support audio, video, and the numerous other stuff DIRECTLY WITHOUT EXTERNAL SUPPORT as the dock port currently supports."

Which means that the connecting device has to have the hardware inside for it to work.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]duh is udh[/nom] Also, MHL and USB3 are far superior to anything Apple has or will spew out.[/citation] You know this for a fact because...?

house70 said:
Problem is, a LOT of iSomething stations/peripherals use an actual docking, meaning you have to stand the device on the dock. Adding a cable between the device and the peripheral defeats the purpose of that design
So? Look at the new USB3 devices coming, or Thunderbolt. Compared to anyone else, Apple has and will have a consistent interface that 3rd party accessory makers can easily follow. Ever look in ANY store for accessories. You will find about 3~5x more apple stuff than all the others combined. Already some devices are made for iPad, others for iPod/iPhone.

When someone upgrades their phone/tablet - they can either get an physical adapter or a cable adapter or replace the accessory. Some devices come with iPod Adapters since those come in different shapes. Its not rocket science.

[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]If the new dock connector is not USB, how does Apple intend to be allowed to sell the phone in the EU?There is a directive that all new phones and mobile equipment must follow the USB standard for charging.[/citation] The new and even current dock connector has no problems with the EU. Have you bought an Android phone or Apple product in the past few years? Did you notice the charger?

A) The EU requires that the phones use a standard charger connector or USB from a computer / HUB / etc.

B) Android and iOS device have chargers with a USB port. You can charge anything. I just plugged my Android phone into my iPad charger. Wow, it works! Shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.