[SOLVED] Could this be dangerous for my PC?

Jun 26, 2020
A sudden burst of rain caught my friend off guard and his pc got wet, once dry he tried to turn it on but it backfired and smelled like burned, quickly turned it off but after trying later it wouldn't turn on at all, so I'm going to his house to change his PSU for an old one I have to check if that's the only problem or if it's worse, and I just thought I could bring my own PC to test if his GPU or hard drives are still working in case the PSU swap fails, but if the GPU got busted from being wet, could it be dangerous to test in my pc?

If you're wondering, his PSU is on the top of the case and its fan is facing downwards so probably everything got wet.

EDIT: His PSU is dead but everything else works fine. In the end I didn't need my PC at all.

Last edited:
Solution
A sudden burst of rain caught my friend off guard and his pc got wet, once dry he tried to turn it on but it backfired and smelled like burned, quickly turned it off but after trying later it wouldn't turn on at all, so I'm going to his house to change his PSU for an old one I have to check if that's the only problem or if it's worse, and I just thought I could bring my own PC to test if his GPU or hard drives are still working in case the PSU swap fails, but if the GPU got busted from being wet, could it be dangerous to test in my pc?

If you're wondering, his PSU is on the top of the case and its fan is facing downwards so probably everything got wet.
Don't use suspect PSU until it could be truthfully checked.

Don't use suspect PSU until it could be truthfully checked.

Solution
"A sudden burst of rain caught my friend off guard and his pc got wet, once dry he tried to turn it on but it backfired and smelled like burned "

The PC is toast...the magic smoke has escaped. You're looking at a full tear down and rebuild to find the ruined part(s).