[SOLVED] Could this cut be why my internet doesnt work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech_head

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2014
Hello, basically I have switched from att to Xfinity and noticed I could not get an internet signal from my modem. I checked the Xfinity box outside and noticed that a cable is cut. Could that be why I'm not getting an internet signal? I've been on hold for more than an hour and if its something I could fix quickly id like to do it myself.

Here's the image: https://media.discordapp.net/attach...178/20200805_165724.jpg?width=595&height=1223

Tech_head

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2014
so you can see connect to modem?
check the modem status? your or rent from comcast?

you did the self installation?
When the modem is on I can only see the Receive light flashing and the power light is on solid. I did do a self install and its my own modem and router.
The modem is: Arris touchstone SB6183
The Router is: Tp-link AC1750 Smart wifi router

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Hello, basically I have switched from att to Xfinity and noticed I could not get an internet signal from my modem. I checked the Xfinity box outside and noticed that a cable is cut. Could that be why I'm not getting an internet signal? I've been on hold for more than an hour and if its something I could fix quickly id like to do it myself.

Here's the image: https://media.discordapp.net/attach...178/20200805_165724.jpg?width=595&height=1223

depends on where other half of it went...

You have one active outlet, and 2 inactive outlets in that picture, there may be another inactive outlet from the cut, that is not in the picture.

For now move the modem to different outlets in the unit, wait 5 minutes, and see if you can find that active one, or visually trace it if it goes along the outside and move the cable to where you find it going inside the wall.

The largest cable coming in on the right is the source cable. If you follow the connections, you'll see it is only connected to one outlet.. the splitter is inactive and therefore so are all the other cables.
Do what was suggested to determine which outlet in the house is active, or leave your modem where you want it, and swap the remaining cables, one by one, until you connect the right one (hopefully it's not the cable that now has no connector).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS