[SOLVED] Could this have caused an issue?

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
While installing a new PSU, I decided to route one of the PSU cables behind a corner of the motherboard (in between the case and the mobo, the gap was barely wide enough to fit the cable) because otherwise it would be touching the CPU heatsink and I thought that may be an issue (because the rubber on the cable could melt). But later I realized that it won't melt and I read somewhere that the solder pins on the back of the motherboard can pierce the PSU cable and cause a short so I rerouted the PSU cable. My question is, is it possible that I may have damaged one or more pins on the back of the motherboard while moving the PSU cable in and out of there? The PC works perfectly fine, but please let me know whether this could have caused any damage, and if so, what symptoms to look out for.

Solution
You'll need to examine the cable in question (possibly with a magnifying glass in good lighting) to see if it shows any signs of damage to determine this.

Is it possible? Yes.
Is it likely? Unless you were raking the PSU cable back and forth against the pins I would say you only have a very slight chance of damage.
You'll need to examine the cable in question (possibly with a magnifying glass in good lighting) to see if it shows any signs of damage to determine this.

Is it possible? Yes.
Is it likely? Unless you were raking the PSU cable back and forth against the pins I would say you only have a very slight chance of damage.

Solution

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020

Is it possible? Yes.
Alright thanks, also is it possible for a motherboard to still work if it's shorted or missing one of those really small components? If it works fine then does that mean that there isn't any damage?

...shorted or missing one of those really small components?
Okay. This is an ENTIRELY different situation. If you happened to have broken off one of those tiny resistors or other SMD on the back of the motherboard then, yes, it can cause major issues. Even if it works now it could cause stability issues or eventually fry your CPU, memory, or other component.
I wouldn't continue to use a motherboard if I knew it had an SMD broken off. If you are good with a soldering iron and still have the piece that broke off you could try soldering it back on. You'll need a really steady hand for those tiny components though.

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
Okay. This is an ENTIRELY different situation. If you happened to have broken off one of those tiny resistors or other SMD on the back of the motherboard then, yes, it can cause major issues. Even if it works now it could cause stability issues or eventually fry your CPU, memory, or other component.
I wouldn't continue to use a motherboard if I knew it had an SMD broken off. If you are good with a soldering iron and still have the piece that broke off you could try soldering it back on. You'll need a really steady hand for those tiny components though.
Nothing broke off, I was just wondering what would happen. I looked up images of my motherboard and there aren't even any resistors or anything on the back of the board, just the solder pins and that's it. My main worry was that 2 of those pins could have gotten bent and come into contact with eachother causing a short, but everything works fine so I'm assuming that didn't happen.