[SOLVED] Could this roasted GPU be repaired? (Pics from underneath the heatsink)

kay_

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2015
So my MSI 980 ti was running smoothly for 5 years, then the other day my PC shut off and a burning smell was in the air (from the GPU). Normally, with the PC turned off but the PSU switched on, you'll see the RGB lights on my MOBO come on - but as long as the graphics card was slotted in, the PSU wouldn't even power up the MOBO, and the PC wouldn't turn on (tried letting it cool down for about an hour, still nothing). Luckily, with an old gpu, the pc turns on and everything else works fine. With the 3-year warranty long past, I thought I'd take a peek under the heatsink - this is what I found:

Does this look like something that might be worth the money to get repaired?

HA8UToq.jpg

I0OJOvo.jpg

xFc8ZDd.jpg

ZkIw1qw.jpg

taIqElX.jpg

3s88RFq.jpg

Solution
Oh no...
I'm sorry, but that one's RIP.

If it were a part on the gpu's PCB, then it would be possible... but that is on the gpu silicon itself...
I'm sorry, but it's gone.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So my MSI 980 ti was running smoothly for 5 years, then the other day my PC shut off and a burning smell was in the air (from the GPU). Normally, with the PC turned off but the PSU switched on, you'll see the RGB lights on my MOBO come on - but as long as the graphics card was slotted in, the PSU wouldn't even power up the MOBO, and the PC wouldn't turn on (tried letting it cool down for about an hour, still nothing). Luckily, with an old gpu, the pc turns on and everything else works fine. With the 3-year warranty long past, I thought I'd take a peek under the heatsink - this is what I found:

Does this look like something that might be worth the money to get repaired?

HA8UToq.jpg

I0OJOvo.jpg

xFc8ZDd.jpg

ZkIw1qw.jpg

taIqElX.jpg

3s88RFq.jpg
Yep RIP it had a good life.

You can buy a new 1660ti for like 250 bucks and get almost the same performance.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti/3439vs4037
The above site is not exact but fairly close.
https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-...ffiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2

Or try to find a good price on a used card if you trust them.

EDIT the bad thing is with the shortage of hardware it sucks buying a new card right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: kay_

kay_

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2015
If it were a part on the gpu's PCB, then it would be possible... but that is on the gpu silicon itself...
I'm sorry, but it's gone.
Yep RIP it had a good life.

You can buy a new 1660ti for like 250 bucks and get almost the same performance.

Or try to find a good price on a used card if you trust them.

EDIT the bad thing is with the shortage of hardware it sucks buying a new card right now.

I see, thanks guys. Yep, it did get a heck of a lot of good use over the 5 years. Perhaps it would have lasted longer if I didn't overclock it to its highest possible stable core/mem clock speed (with afterburner) for those 5 years :p

Thanks for those pics though.
Lol .. no prob ;)