Could this setup run bf3 on ultra?

rndomi

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Could this setup run bf3 on ultra on 1920x1080 resolution? with like... average 40-50 fps?
i3 2100
sapphire radeon hd 7870
8gb ddr3 ram

A GTX680 with a more powerful CPU is required for the highest settings in BF3.

An HD7870 would look very good though.

I can't advise further because I don't know if you are upgrading an existing system or building one.

If building you should get the i5-2500K for the best gaming value. If upgrading, simply get the best card in your budget that gets the highest benchmarks (don't forget you may need a new Power Supply).

Also don't forget that the new GTX670 is also coming out which may be $400 though it would likely be handicapped significantly by an i3-2100 vs an i5-2500K.

rndomi

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Thanks for reply! Im building new one, il post full parts below.
Its also my first build ever!

AsRock Z77Pro3
Thermalright true spirit 120
8gb ddr3 ram
Intel core i3 2100 2x 3.10GHz
750gb western digital caviar blue
2048mb Sapphire radeon HD 7870
450W Super flower golden gree 80plus

Not true. it depends on your resolution. my 6970(which is basically close to a 7870 just older/lower) runs it fine on ultra at 1920x1200, as do many other peoples cards. CPUs kinda weak though.

So what is your resolution.

rndomi

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

1920x1080, just like i wrote in first post.
So if i would buy i5 2500k instead of i3 2100, i would be fine?

LOL sorry. reading fail. I would just try it and see if you are going to buy the game anyway. toms has articles on BF3 and CPU/GPU. If you aren't happy with how it runs/looks then upgrade. The really big maps and 64 players can bog stuff down too.

You can see the 7870 does just fine at 1080p without overclocking, which would give you even more.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-6.html

So I'd upgrade the CPU first if you have major issues, and the 2500K is very good. if you wont overclock it there are cheaper options you could look at

rndomi

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

Ight, thanks :)

To be clear (if you just glanced at the charts) that chart for 1080p is on high settings. the one for 2560x1440 is on ultra with 90 degree FOV, where it gets 28.2. So over 30 FPS shouldn't be an issue at all, which is my baseline. Over 60 FPS might be doable with an overclock (which is really easy with the 7xxxs), but you'd have to research more to see.

it should also crossfire nicely down the road

@unksol he isn't upgrading. He's building a whole new machine.

@OP: I'd suggest you grab i5 2500k as well. It will last you a long time. For the graphics card: HD7870 should run BF3 totally maxed out with 40-45 fps average.

rndomi

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

Alright, ill get i5 2500k then, thanks for replys :)

As for the GRAPHICS CARD, it's a matter of budget.

The HD6870 would still look fine and would be minimum recommend (and can be found on sale at Newegg for $140 after $20 MIR, or NCIX for $150 after MIR).

The GTX680 is $500 but with the i5-2500K will basically max all quality settings at 1920x1080 and still give you 60FPS.

The GTX670 should be $400 and out in a month or so but availability on the new GTX6xx's is limited currently.

I've got an HD5870 which is pretty close to an HD6870. There are plenty of games I can run at full, or close to full settings, however I'm still upgrading to the GTX680. The main games I'm upgrading for are:
- Witcher 2
- Metro 2033
- Batman AC

Many of my games that get 60FPS most of the time will still be more enjoyable due to less stutter and reduced sluggishness caused by VSYNC.

*Anyway, check the benchmarks. It's worth considering that an HD6870 for $150 should still sell for at least $80 after a year and of course the i5-2500K is a strong base for upgrading.

PCIe v3??
If it were considerably more expensive, I would not recommend it. However there are nice Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge motherboards that do support it for only $150.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=69231&vpn=Z77A-G45&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar&promoid=1259

I believe the above is a new Ivy Bridge motherboard. It supports the previous 1155 CPU's as well as the newer ones. This is a strong base to build a system around. I haven't compared this board extensively, however I don't think you can go wrong here.

There's a reason we "forgot" the PSU. Its very good. and gold rated.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=250
" Summary

What Superflower has here just so happens to be one of the best smaller units I've tested. The Golden Green 450W is efficient, quiet, and it regulates as steady as Clint Eastwood's shootin' arm. It's just about the best option that I can think of for general purpose light duty rigs with one video card. Bust out the wallet and grab one, says I."

Now the xfx is also good, but bronze rated. and with 120W TDP for a 7870 450W should be fine. the xfx is better if you want to crossfire later though.

Forward thinking is essential.
450w is limiting to someone wanted to upgrade later or add additional parts.
650w is the sweet spot.
Yes the 450w unit is great, but it will not handle the demands of going above 450w ;)

I completely agree. But I am thinking it'd only pull 275-300W max? With power requirements on parts constantly dropping and the excellent efficientcy of the superflower at all load levels I can't imagine it being an issue short of crossfire, hence why I mention it.

If they were the same price there are definitely situations I'd go superflower.

Honestly the OP picked a very nice one sized for his build. We rarely see that and I'm impressed. or happy. warm fuzzies lmao. Future proofing should def be mentioned and considered but I think he did a good job on his own

variable6k1

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
I recently put together a new with with an i5 2500K and a 7850. I have it overclocked to the max with ultra settings with 2xMSAA and 2x AF and I get 40+ fps most of the time except for the desert maps when looking over a lot of open scenery. It may drop down to the 30's. If i Could do it over again I would have gone with the 7870. My previous card was a 5850 and I thought the 7850 would be that much better but I guess they changed to the naming scheme.

threadjack: (sorry op)

they changed naming schemes I believe. think it goes like this successor to the 5850 was the 6950, not the 6850 like you'd think. the 7850 replaces the 6950 performace level and is a little better. they all do this. need to check benchmarks to see % gain.

Have you tried overclocking it? 7xxxs are supposed to very well at stock voltage. so free performance boost

/threadjack

Start a new thread, or i will be bringing a mod in to deal with your rudeness to the rules, and the OP.
You can also personal message...

The overclocking and his experienced performance also relate to the OPs choice with the 7xxx series. If he has not overclocked I'd have told him to start a thread to improve performance if he wanted. It was hardly rude and advances the discussion of the OPs GPU choice and expected results. Its a conversation. Chill out.

Now that you started being cranky though I recognize your name. You're the guy who always has a chip on his shoulder and had to be right. I've seen your threads. Jumped all over a guy because he said "Derp" when you told him something and he realized he made a dumb mistake, and you thought he called you a name so you told him to "shove be his gpu up his arse" real nice

Hmm i see.
You obviously do not understand why am like this then.
I suggest you be quiet and leave the bashing for a face to face time.
Until then there is no point, i have gone through things many never will, i dont want to preach, but do not judge.
I may come across that way, but thats me, what you gonna do?
I hold enough knowledge to be here as you and many others do.
I am stating rules, don't be an ass.

I don't care. Experience does not excuse behavior. I wasn't an ass. I was not bashing. I did not call you out on knowledge. I agreed with you. you just need to dial it back a little man. threatening people actively participating and contributing to a thread is not constructive. Its a group of people discussing what the OP can expect from his build. You don't jump someone in a conversation like that ( i hope). I'm not a noob so don't treat me like one. YOU could have pmed me if you had a concern

And this is its own actual thread Jack, so again, I deeply apologize OP. I tagged the first one to.keep people out and see if it related to what you can expect. I'm not going to continue this further. its rude

back to the conversation.

variable6k1 if you have something to contribute about you experience with your 7850 to the OP regaurding overclocking or anything else please do so. I don't have a 7xxx so you have more personal experience than I and I'd be interested to hear it and I am sure the OP would.

And I can't read. sigh. sorry. night shift + real programming job. fail. ill go sit in a corner. still voltage/clock might be useful to the OP or for comparison since they all overclock differently

rndomi

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

Thanks! It will be my first computer ever, i was console player but decided to go for PC gaming because of graphics and more accurate controller ;)
Im so hyped to get it, i think i also get 600w super flower golden green gold 80+ instead of 450w one :)

rndomi,
I forget where you are at with the Parts choices.

I don't recommend pairing the i3-2100 with an HD7870. You'd get noticeably better performance in most games by spending just $70 more for the i5-2500K which would still be able to be paired with a future, more powerful graphics card. It would also make a big difference for converting video with the CPU as well as making backup images.

If you had a budget in mind I'd be happy to generate a complete parts list with the best gaming system for that budget.

rndomi

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

This is my built, i wrote in few posts up that i will change i3 to i5 :p

AsRock Z77Pro3
Thermalright true spirit 120
8gb ddr3 ram
i5 2500k
750gb western digital caviar blue
2048mb Sapphire radeon HD 7870
600w super flower golden green gold 80+