Question Could updating my ASUS BIOS potentially brick my PC?

Jan 28, 2024
Hello, I'm new here!

I'm trying to fix an issue with my storage units by upgrading my BIOS version for my ASUS Z690-A Motherboard.

However I've heard people say that upgrading from a version that's got a big leap between updates could potentially brick my PC

For example I am on ver 0403, but if I updated my BIOS all the way to 3101, could that potentially have bad consequences? And if so, should I try gradually upgrading at a time?

Just need some advice before actually going a head with upgrading, thanks.

Jan 28, 2024
Thank you very much for the quick reply.

just so I understand correctly, can I locate this information from my motherboards website?

And what would this information be labelled under? I can't seem to find any clear information steps

However I've heard people say that upgrading from a version that's got a big leap between updates could potentially brick my PC

You could brick your PC regardless of how many BIOS versions are in the leap...1 or 13.

It's up to you to weigh the advantages of the updates versus the status quo.......that is, to what extent are you speculating about whether a newer BIOS will improve your situation??

Reactions: civl23s
Jan 28, 2024
I think I found it, the trouble I had was finding the information because some of the newer updates don't make it clear to what extra steps I need to take.

I think I'll just upgrade to a version where I need to take extra steps before updating to any other and see if that solves my problem.

Jan 28, 2024
You could brick your PC regardless of how many BIOS versions are in the leap...1 or 13.

It's up to you to weigh the advantages of the updates versus the status quo.......that is, to what extent are you speculating about whether a newer BIOS will improve your situation??
I'm trying to fix a driver problem, my M.2 SSD's for some reason changed to RAID Controller and there is no options in my BIOS to configure RAID or SATA so now I have 2 new SSD's that are unable to boot from UEFI?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024
Are you 100% sure this BIOS update addresses the specific issue you're having?
I'm not sure, but I think the BIOS update that would help my problem would be 2602 now instead of the latest one, I'm going to have to look through them

TRENDING THREADS