Could use Help / Advice for first PC Build for Day (stock) Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2019
Hello,

I am going to "attempt" to build my first PC. I will be using this PC for Day Trading, not gaming. Although some may say day trading is like a video game in a way.

The computer will be running charting software that will have 30+ charts open at one time, several quote boxes with 200+ stocks, news feeds, Chrome browser with several tabs at once, and my broker software. Basically there is a lot of constantly changing numbers, lines-charts, flashing lights (multitasking) going on if you aren't familiar with day trading.

Requirement: The PC MUST be able to run 4 monitors minimum. And have the ability to run more in the future (add a 2nd GPU later if wanted).

Preferences: I prefer the PC to be as quiet as possible. I have plenty of room under my desk, so full ATX mobo. Mid (or even full) tower is fine. As for RGB, if the build comes with it that's fine, but not a priority by any means.

Budget: $750-$900 ( I know traders that spend thousands on a PC and it's completely not needed, besides, this is my first build, start small and move up the ladder on the next one).

P.S. I have been trading for 15+ years. I currently have 2 Dell PCs ...one is 11+ years old, the other is a Dell XPS that is almost 9 yrs. The latter runs 4 mons with 2 GPUs. I upgraded RAM, and PSU, but that's it. They were each $750 machines, I more than got my money's worth. I would like to do that again with this PC, but realize I have gotten lucky nothing broke down ... so 5 years usage would be good target for this build.

Question / Concerns:
I am still a little iffy on which MOBO would be the best. X370? B350? B450? X470?

I would prefer the MOBO be on the "easy" side to work with feature wise and NOT need any BIOS updates right out of the box if possible. I am willing to pay more on the MOBO if that helps with the above as well as better quality / durability. Again it will need to have 2 PCIe x 16 slots so I can run 2 GPUs if needed in the future.

I like the look of the NZXT case, but I may go with a beQuiet! 600/601(all black, no orange) if it's worth the money for a quieter PC.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6frhr6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6frhr6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($195.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.45 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ B&H)
Total: $823.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-01 01:51 EST-0500

Thanks in advance for looking this over! All advice / comments are appreciated and welcomed! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

aschamne

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2012
IMHO I would spend $3 more on the memory and get G Skill and then I would spend $5 less and get a Crucial ssd as it comes with a 5 year warranty as opposed to the 3 year from WD. As for the beQuiet fans only you can determine if it's worth it, they are significantly quieter but at $22 each they can add up. Anyway here is a link to the memory and ssd that I recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0784SLQM6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0784SLQM6&pd_rd_w=TYBsT&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=BbjyJ&pf_rd_r=EA7P32PET737MX8744RZ&pd_rd_r=775b6076-0da6-11e9-bb5a-dff16524fffe

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232417&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Jan 1, 2019
Hey aschamne,

Thanks for the input! I will make the changes you suggested. Do you have any advice regarding which is the best MOBO? Easiest for first time build, will have an updated BIOS already installed, helpful user manual for beginners, etc.?

When I look at different MOBO on newegg.com, I am quite shocked at how many ppl get DOA boards from all manufacturers ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. Is that a common thing that ppl experience when building PCs?

Thanks again for you advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS