Counter Strike Source Lag on Broadband

Hi, I've being getting major lag on all games local or not, when
others are doing fine...

I have a 512k Broadband Connection, with a 2.4Ghz P4 Chip (1mb cache)
and 1Gb of DDR400 Memory, with a 9800xt Graphics Card operating on a
Asus Motherboard with 800fsb...

I've tried deleting Local Content and redownloading the game, I've
also changed my connection speed in the Steam Settings to every
possible option.

My pc is fully updated, and is Spyware/Adaware free, running Windows
XP Service Pack 2, with Firewall permissions set to allow all programs
that Steam uses..

My Latency hovers around 130..but when I used to play CounterStrike
1.6 I averaged at about 30..

Any suggestions welcome, as I really wanna get into this game.

"Putim" <PutimGlisssp@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, I've being getting major lag on all games local or not, when
> others are doing fine...
>
> Any suggestions welcome, as I really wanna get into this game.

I found I got higher latency with CS:S than I did with 1.6 I think it is the
same for everyone but 130 is way too high for your connection. I get 60-80ms
with my 64k ISDN line (40 days until my town gets ADSL mmmm 2mbit time).

I found setting my rates using the table provided here worked a treat
http://games.saix.net/guide_counter_strike.php

many people say that with DSL you should set them to 25000, 99, 99 but loads of
people I know with broadband get massive lag and packet loss with those setting.
I don't know who started suggesting that but it doesn't seem to work.

"Putim" <PutimGlisssp@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> My Latency hovers around 130..but when I used to play CounterStrike
> 1.6 I averaged at about 30..
>
> Any suggestions welcome, as I really wanna get into this game.

Let me guess, you probably have DSL ?
I'm in the USA, and with DSL my latency was 120 to a friend in the same
town.
With cable, now my latency is 50 or less to Germany, France, England, and
Brazil.
Once I got a latency of 65 connecting to a Tokyo server.

Go with cable if you can.

Limnophile

Putim wrote:
> Hi, I've being getting major lag on all games local or not, when
> others are doing fine...
>
> I have a 512k Broadband Connection, with a 2.4Ghz P4 Chip (1mb cache)
> and 1Gb of DDR400 Memory, with a 9800xt Graphics Card operating on a
> Asus Motherboard with 800fsb...
>
> I've tried deleting Local Content and redownloading the game, I've
> also changed my connection speed in the Steam Settings to every
> possible option.
>
> My pc is fully updated, and is Spyware/Adaware free, running Windows
> XP Service Pack 2, with Firewall permissions set to allow all programs
> that Steam uses..
>
> My Latency hovers around 130..but when I used to play CounterStrike
> 1.6 I averaged at about 30..
>
> Any suggestions welcome, as I really wanna get into this game.

On all maps? I have a real (ping) problem with the new dust2 but great
gameplay with most others. When I or anyone near me goes 'out of the map'
(low grav) my ping skyrockets to 600. Same thing at bombsite A irrespective
of what else is going on.

Since I don't know the technical aspect of it I can only assume that dust2
was made by total hacks and the others by pro map makers.

I have posted this phenomenon on the Steam forums and had no response.

Athlon 2800+, 9800pro, 768MB 333MHz RAM, USB Extigy.

--
damien clan .
@ mcbain com

there's no place like 127.0.0.1