News Counterfeit AMD Wraith Prism Coolers Are Entering The Market

These coolers are likely made in China, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were being manufactured in the same factory, using the same equipment, and are just being sold under the table.

And it's very possible that this was one of multiple possible designs for the Wraith Prism, but AMD might have gone with the four heatpipe version after deciding that the other two weren't necessary to provide adequate cooling.

Six heat pipes. If properly manufactured. It would be hilarious if the counterfeit was better than the original.

The only issue I see with it is the dissipating capacity of the fins and fan. If its the same it may not make any difference if the fins cannot dissipate the additional heat being brought by the additional heat pipes.

Most coolers that have better cooling capacity tend to have more heatpipes and a larger heatfink with more fins and a larger surface area overall. They don't normally just add more heatpipes into an existing design.

Makaveli

Splendid
What I find really funny is how the previous story was posted without being validated by AMD.

However this is the way the world works now just post the story and get the facts later!

What I find really funny is how the previous story was posted without being validated by AMD.

However this is the way the world works now just post the story and get the facts later!
If it were a leak for an unannounced piece of hardware, I suspect AMD would likely not comment on it anyway. So, waiting for verification from them would probably be a bit pointless.

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Ehhhh....anyone else notice the huge # of complaints over the last 6-9 months about AMD high end cpu's running really hot with the wraith prism? I bought a 3700x and it hits 85c at full tilt. I think its a real AMD cooler, but AMD is saying it isn't so they don't have to replace old Wraiths.

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Hmmm. And the last time some cloned/improved an Intel stock cooler was..............
Oh, right. That would be never.

Well, they don't need much. I have an HP with an i7-6700 in it, and HP's crap heatsink and fan. Runs cool. My 3700x with the Wraith cooler (four pipe) hits 85c when pressed.

I would assume they would want to comment on it to make sure people know its not theirs. You know, make sure there is no liability.
What I mean is, in the event that it were a real product update that wasn't yet announced, they likely wouldn't verify that it was real.

And for all we know, this could be a real alternate version of the cooler designed by Cooler Master and AMD. Maybe they decided to not use this version, or maybe it's intended for a future product launch and not meant to be sold yet. Perhaps the tooling was all there, and a run of them were made, either officially or unofficially. It seems a bit suspicious that anyone trying to make counterfeit copies of AMD's cooler would go through the trouble of adding additional heat-pipes and making them more expensive to manufacture, while otherwise following the design so precisely.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Tomshardware should test them and review them then post articles not b4 !!!

we dont care what AMD says , we care about testing it and seeing if it is really better or not.

we dont want "Likely" and "guessing" Toms!!!

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
The only issue I see with it is the dissipating capacity of the fins and fan. If its the same it may not make any difference if the fins cannot dissipate the additional heat being brought by the additional heat pipes.

Most coolers that have better cooling capacity tend to have more heatpipes and a larger heatfink with more fins and a larger surface area overall. They don't normally just add more heatpipes into an existing design.

What you are saying is true if the heatpipes count is an optimal solution of the heatfinks ... that is the surface that is used is fully optimised for 4 heatpipes. If not , 6 heatpipes will perform better. and there is only one way to know this !!

REVIEW THE THING

AMD Wraith PRISM is made by CoolerMaster in china. I wouldn't be surprised if the counterfeits are made in similar factories and perform similarly or better due to the extra heat pipes.

Also, cheap Chinese coolers have been proven to be pretty good in some cases. Think SnowMan coolers from aliexpress.

Sep 13, 2019
Ehhhh....anyone else notice the huge # of complaints over the last 6-9 months about AMD high end cpu's running really hot with the wraith prism? I bought a 3700x and it hits 85c at full tilt. I think its a real AMD cooler, but AMD is saying it isn't so they don't have to replace old Wraiths.

i dont think those coolers are designed to handle such cpu on full tilt very well. i have r5-1600 paired with one and temps are rock solid but if i start pulling over 125W of power during let's say cb20 at 4.1 ghz then the story is very similiar, around 85C, at 4.0ghz it stays under 75 C and 118W max power draw.

Also really? expecting stock cooler to handle 3700x on full load is bit much dont u think? you wouldn't stress test i9 9900k on stock cooler either.

Jan 28, 2020
Just a quick observation. It is interesting to see the number of folks that don't seem to have any hesitation about going for the counterfeit product. I guess they're the ones with Money to Burn. Must be nice...

For me, experience has taught me that (even when the publication is perhaps skewed a bit) that when a Mfg company raises the alarm about counterfeit devices, it is best to listen.

I for one have built my last system (been building for 30 years) and I prefer not to risk it on look-a-like, unsanctioned devices w/o appropriate warranty. I plan on being buried with this last device, and would like a long use after I'm planted. :)

Reactions: King_V