[SOLVED] Counterfeit GPU??? Supposedly RTX 2060 SUPER

Status
Not open for further replies.

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
I am worried about a GPU I bought on ebay. I bought an RTX 2060 SUPER with 8GB of RAM but the card is VERY SMALL. It is only 7.5 inches long and only about 4 inches tall. Plus it only has ONE FAN. The seller says it came with his Alienware Aurora R9, but it is smaller than the GTX 960 that came with my Lenovo ideacenter from a few years ago. Most RTX 2060 SUPERS are significantly bigger and have TWO fans or more.

This card has one display port, one hdmi, and one dvi port.

How can I tell if this card is legit or not? I here that people can alter the bios on the card so that it will SAY it is a certain card in device manager / Nvidia App.
I don't know how to post pictures on this forum of the card but here is a link to the original ebay listing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2060-SUPER-8GB-GDDR6-OC-Ready-/164006484434?hash=item262f8c59d2:g:16EAAOSwTR9eBUTb&nma=true&si=Ec15Tgsh6FRobJr%2BTbRVTVVSU70%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:
Solution
I think the larger problem is that it wasn't a very good purchase even if it is legit. $330 with shipping for a card that won't have warranty service and a very basic cooling solution is a pretty terrible price when new 2060 Supers can be found with shipping for $400. Even knowing for a fact that it's legit, I wouldn't have gone over$250 on this.
That kind of pricing would be quite unrealistic for a 2060 SUPER. Looking at completed listings on ebay, aside from one nonfunctional card, the absolute minimum a pre-owned 2060 SUPER went for in North America was around $310 shipped, with nearly all of them in the $320+ range, with this ~$320 listing showing up as one of the least-expensive 2060 SUPERs sold on the service over...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You'll know from testing it fairly quickly if it's real or not. I haven't opened up any Alienwares with this GPU (it's pretty new), but you'll see OEMs get GPUs with proprietary cheapy shrouds and fan configurations to keep things costed down. There are one-fan 2060 Supers for ITX builds hanging around (at least one that I know about).

I think the larger problem is that it wasn't a very good purchase even if it is legit. $330 with shipping for a card that won't have warranty service and a very basic cooling solution is a pretty terrible price when new 2060 Supers can be found with shipping for $400. Even knowing for a fact that it's legit, I wouldn't have gone over$250 on this.

The No Face Guy

Commendable
Feb 15, 2019
Alright. There is a 50-50 chance that is is fake or real. Look at this image:
Palit-RTX2060-GamingPro.png

It is a Palit 2060 Super.
As you told, it has a dvi, a displayport and a hdmi. BUT, it has two fans which concerns me.
Also, can you say how many pin power connector is present on the card?

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
Alright. There is a 50-50 chance that is is fake or real. Look at this image:
Palit-RTX2060-GamingPro.png

It is a Palit 2060 Super.
As you told, it has a dvi, a displayport and a hdmi. BUT, it has two fans which concerns me.
Also, can you say how many pin power connector is present on the card?

I am not sure... are the power pin connectors the 8 that are on the card that posted an image of? Because my card has 8, too.

It could be legit. OEMs have made tiny itx versions of cards that normally are not that small.
For example HP made a tiny mini ITX AMD RX480. Yet most RX480s have large pretty substancial heatsyncs.

Once you get a proper PSU, run GPUz. The 8 pin requirement and plenty of mem chips i see under the shroud look promising.

You may be able to tear the cooler off and look at the die in the meantime.

Reactions: Phaaze88

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
It could be legit. OEMs have made tiny itx versions of cards that normally are not that small.
For example HP made a tiny mini ITX AMD RX480.

Once you get a proper PSU, run GPUz.

You may be able to tear the cooler off and look at the die in the meantime.

OK, I have NO idea how to "tear the cooler off and look at the die in the meantime." I am going to guess that you were using hyperbole when you said "tear" though... Either way, not sure if I have the skills to be able to expose the die without destroying the card / burning my house down :(

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
Well shucks... I was going to suggest you plug the gpu up anyway just to see what Gpu-Z says. It shouldn't hurt to just log in just to find out what the gpu is, but since the quality of the psu would be questionable, then nevermind.

Yeah, I might be able to test it out in my son's computer tomorrow. Can't get him to stop playing CS GO long enough for me to get at his machine though.

Basically you can unscrew the heatsync and wipe the thermal paste off of the GPU chip itself with a paper towel.

There will be markings under this thermal paste. A legitamate RTX2060 super should have a marking starting with TU.

If there are no markings or the markings are incorrect (they start with GK or GF for example), the GPU is possibly fake.

Reactions: My PC Hates Me
Status
Not open for further replies.