Coupe VS Sedan insurance price

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
Hi everyone,
I know this is a tech forum, but there's a category for cars so here I go.

Would you guys have any idea if there would be a difference between the insurance price of say, a coupe chevy cobalt with a spoiler compared, to say a cobalt sedan.

Some other factors you might want
I'm 17 and a male
Live in a Rural town in northeastern CT
I don't have my license yet, but when I do, I'm almost certain there will be no accidents or anything like that, I'm a slow and cautions driver.
Lastly, I have good grades.

Hoping somebody might have any ideas.

The sportier the car the higher the insurance rates in general. At 17 and a new driver your rates are going to be high no matter what sadly. If you have a local independent insurance agent try talking to them and getting some quotes to help you compare.

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017

So even if the car has the same performance as the base model, it'll still count as a sportier car and the insurance will be higher?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
In this case, the 2 variants of the Cobalt are likely to have a minimal, if any, price difference. Regardless, as a 17 y/o male driver, your rates will be high.

While one variant is "sportier", they likely have the same drivetrain and safety features. These are big factors in determining the cost factors of the vehicles.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
This is the average yearly increase for a Parent to add a Teen to there insurance.

Geico......... $1,632 $1,758 $1,695
State Farm. $1,394 $2,462 $1,928
Nationwide. $2,486 $3,228 $2,857
Progressive. $2,733 $4,223 $3,478
Allstate...... $3,004 $4,112 $3,558
Farmers..... $5,024 $9,248 $7,136

So for a Teen to do it solo expect to increase that by 50%-100%. I pay $250 a month extra for my 16-year-old so you're going to want to start talking to your parents and getting quotes.

In many cases yes, but not all.
Insurance companies pool cars into insurance groups.
If you have more people driving a cobalt coupe and they tend to speed, get into higher accident rates a Rate for the cobalt coupe will be higher.
Meanwhile if the normal cobalt is driven mostly my grandma's going to church the rate will be lower.

Other things to consider is saftey features like collision avoidance, or anti theft.

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
Well guys, I didn't expect to get that many responses, and I'm very grateful for your advice.

In the meantime, I think I'd better find an insurance agent to talk to and I'd better start looking for another job....

TRENDING THREADS