Sep 26, 2016
Hay,
My system spec :
PSU : 500w NOT 80+ Certified
Motherboard : Lenovo L-IG41M
CPU : Intel Quad Core Q9500
RAM : 2x4GB Crucial DDR3 1600
GPU : PNY GTX670

For a long time i have a problem with my pc randomly losing signal{PC Stays on, Signals lost, Only restart will bring the signal back}.
Latley i noticed that when it happens my GPU fan stops spinning until i restart my pc only then it's working again.
After reading some threads about this issue i've tried to switch PSU to another uncertified 80+ because that's what is had.
With the new PSU it felt like the PC was running longer then before altough i cant really tell because it was randomly losing the signal before and not by a specific time.
Anyway it felt like the problem was fixed because as i said it really felt like it's going longer but then singal is lost again but this time the GPU fan didn't stop spinning but the absoulte opposite it started spinning on its max.

To be honest i am lacking knowledge about those stuff so i still cant tell if the PSU is the trouble maker or mabey the different acting of the GPU is just because those PSU'S works differntley i really dont know.

I'd love to get any help.
Thanks in advanced, Afik.

Edit : I think i might have posted it in the wrong forum can you move it to PSU's forum? or what ever forum is right for this thread.

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like your maxing out your PSU which is not a very good idea with a budget PSU.

On a side note Id steongly recommend never getting a uncertified PSU. Always buy a reliable brand with at least a 80+ Bronze rating and even then most would say to get a better one. The PSU is the most important part to your build and should always have a nice one.

With that said I have a 550w corsair 80+ bronze but Im not pushing it hard.

Ralston18

Titan

AfikH

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
Have you tried removing the GPU and just use the onboard video?

Can you try the GPU in another computer or another GPU in your system. Determine if the problem follows the GPU or stays with the computer.

PSU testing:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If you do not have a multi-meter and/or know how to use it, find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.
Hay, i tried to run the GPU on another computer and it works great. No problems at all, works as expected.
I dont own a multimeter so i cant give a check to my PSU.
I wonder if you can assume what's the issued part by knowing that the GPU is working fine on another computer?

Thanks for you reply, Afik.

Sounds like your maxing out your PSU which is not a very good idea with a budget PSU.

On a side note Id steongly recommend never getting a uncertified PSU. Always buy a reliable brand with at least a 80+ Bronze rating and even then most would say to get a better one. The PSU is the most important part to your build and should always have a nice one.

Solution
Also could be a mobo issue since the card works fine in another system.

Is there anyway u can hook up the psu and gpu into the other system and see if it works? Also what psu is in the other system?

That will help narrow down wether its psu, or mobo.

If u hook the psu and gpu up into the other system and it works, your looking at a bad mobo. If the same problem happens, bad psu. Also use the same monitor and cable for the test.

Last edited:

AfikH

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
Can you provide more information about the two PSUs?

Make, model, source, condition (e.g. used, refurbished)?

Add up the wattage requirements for all installed components and add 25%.

How close is that total to 500?

Also could be a mobo issue since the card works fine in another system.

Is there anyway u can hook up the psu and gpu into the other system and see if it works? Also what psu is in the other system?

That will help narrow down wether its psu, or mobo.

If u hook the psu and gpu up into the other system and it works, your looking at a bad mobo. If the same problem happens, bad psu. Also use the same monitor and cable for the test.
Hay, i'm sorry for the late response.
I managed to put a 80+ certified PSU on this system and it worked well.
The PSU is antec 550w 80+ bronze but i still have to buy a new PSU for this system because this PSU is of another system.
I had to verify that that issue really doesnt return with this PSU so that's the reason for me replying few days after last post.
Now because i have to buy a new PSU i wanted to know if the reason for this PSU not failing is the added 50w or the certification
because i saw a really fine deal on a 500w antec 80+ bronze certified, the exact name is "ANTEC PSU 500W VP500P Plus EC".
The two other PSU's i was testing was just those gray boxes, those PSU's that provided with some cases.

Would love to know your opinion about getting the 500w antec PSU.

Thanks alot, Afik.

Ralston18

Titan
Your question: extra 50 W wattage or certification - possibly both.

First the, PSU wattage most likely sufficient. Second, the certification as a matter of efficiency most likely resulted in a better quality PSU.

500 Watts versus 550 Watts. If you already know that an Antec 550 Watt 80+ bronze certified works then buy that PSU.

PSUs are a critical component and the host computer depends on the PSU. Go with what you know works.

Hay, i'm sorry for the late response.
I managed to put a 80+ certified PSU on this system and it worked well.
The PSU is antec 550w 80+ bronze but i still have to buy a new PSU for this system because this PSU is of another system.
I had to verify that that issue really doesnt return with this PSU so that's the reason for me replying few days after last post.
Now because i have to buy a new PSU i wanted to know if the reason for this PSU not failing is the added 50w or the certification
because i saw a really fine deal on a 500w antec 80+ bronze certified, the exact name is "ANTEC PSU 500W VP500P Plus EC".
The two other PSU's i was testing was just those gray boxes, those PSU's that provided with some cases.

Would love to know your opinion about getting the 500w antec PSU.

Thanks alot, Afik.

It could be either, hard to tell without knowing exactly how much wattage your system is using and how hard its pushing the PSU.

I wouldnt suggest a Antec psu I would go EVGA or Corsair. Spend the extra 20 bucks, its worth it.

Id suggest something like this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-6...6o6ncp3hinfdYV71s9oaAr-4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

AfikH

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
Your question: extra 50 W wattage or certification - possibly both.

First the, PSU wattage most likely sufficient. Second, the certification as a matter of efficiency most likely resulted in a better quality PSU.

500 Watts versus 550 Watts. If you already know that an Antec 550 Watt 80+ bronze certified works then buy that PSU.

PSUs are a critical component and the host computer depends on the PSU. Go with what you know works.
It could be either, hard to tell without knowing exactly how much wattage your system is using and how hard its pushing the PSU.

I wouldnt suggest a Antec psu I would go EVGA or Corsair. Spend the extra 20 bucks, its worth it.

Id suggest something like this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-6...6o6ncp3hinfdYV71s9oaAr-4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks alot, i will try to hunt a good deal.
In my country PSU's prices are very different from Amazon or Newegg prices.
But i am happy i've found the problem.

Again, thanks i appericiate your help alot!