Couple of problems with GPU performance.

CharlieKasper

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Hi and happy new year (again).

I have a Lenovo Y50 laptop (bought in 2014) with the following specs.

Intel i5 4200H @ 2.8 GHz (Dual Core)
GTX 860M (Maxwell) 2GB
8 GB DDR3
1TB+16GB SSHD.

Now it's been about a year and half since I have been using it and I am generally satisfied with its performance. However, there has been a problem or two for a lot of months with this device (which I generally wasn't concerned about since I didn't really game a lot on it in the past 8 months, but it happened before the 8 months).

Problem 1: FPS drops every few seconds. Now generally I would get 60 FPS at recommended settings for a game. However, a few minutes into the game the FPS starts dropping randomly every few seconds. The FPS hovers around 60 FPS and suddenly drops to 20 FPS for a couple of seconds, and then goes back up to 60 FPS. 10 seconds later, it again drops to 20 FPS for 2 seconds and goes backup to 60 FPS for another 10 seconds. The process repeats every time in every game when I have allowed the PC to use full CPU and GPU power (through power options). I check task manager and there isn't any major power hungry resource. When playing a game at any time I see CPU usage at no more than 50-70% (through the graph).

Problem 2: I am not entirely sure about this but even when the FPS is not dropping, I am not getting the same FPS that I see on youtube videos using the same device (that is Lenovo Y50 with i5 4200H, 8GB DDR3 and 2GB GTX 860M Maxwell). I know that no two device will give the same FPS, but I doubt the difference would be so big. I have checked in device manager and it says the GPU is on OK condition.

CharlieKasper

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Nope, it happens even when there's nothing happening.
For example while playing GTA V I don't move the view or move around in the game yet I still see the FPS dropping like I described. There would be no car driving around or no NPC nearby yet FPS still drops.

As I said, in the first few minutes it works like it should, no frame drops even when there's huge amount of explosion or NPCs nearby. But few minutes into the game, it starts.

notj0e

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Do you have chrome running while GTA V is running? It may sound weird but before I upgraded to 16gb from 8gb GTA V used to have major performance issues due to a *lack* of memory.

Is this for every game? Or just heavily taxing ones such as GTA V?

CharlieKasper

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Nope, no chrome in background. While it could be my RAM, I don't think it is.

I only play GTA V and GTA:SA
Initially I thought it could be because GTA V is demanding and (and intially it only happened with GTA V), but after 2-3 months of it starting on GTA V, the same lag happened on GTA SA too.

CharlieKasper

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

CPU reaching 99*C, couldn't find the option to check GPU temps in open hardware monitor. Anyway seems like I found the problem. And a couple of solutions.

1) Dusting the entire internal
2) Replacing the thermal paste.

Would you recommend anything else?

notj0e

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Those are two appropriate steps.

For a laptop I'd suggest, when using it, ensuring that the vents have sufficient airflow so the internal fans can cool the system. If you still struggle with CPU temps then there are third party laptop cooling solutions that may aid your issue.