Couple of questions

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Just finished doing my first build,(well, really just a CPU/mobo/RAM/GPU upgrade, but I figure that's the hardest part :) ) and everything went more or less well so far, but I have a couple issues.

First off, the issue which prompted the upgrade in the first place, when you turn on the PC, all the fans power up and then it dies. I wasn't happy when that happened again as soon as I turned on the rebuilt version. I accidentally found that if I pulled the power switch lead off the mobo while it was spinning up, everything worked and it booted up just fine. Considering the case is over 10 years old, is it likely an issue with the power switch? Is there anything to be done other than replacing the case?

Second, while hooking up all the drives, I realised something: the new mobo has no IDE ports. The problem is, I need the DVD drive operational to use the setup disk, and I can't uqse the internet, because the driver for the ethernet adapter is on the disk I can't read, because the drive only has IDE ports. My PSU has SAT and IDE connectors, so that's not an issue. I only use the drive occasionally, so data transfer speed isn't a big issue. What's the cheapest way I can get the drive reading, or is it just cheaper to get a new drive?