Couple Questions about Crossfire (Couldn't find answers in FAQ)

anshkansara

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Hi! I currently have a Crossfire'd setup of an ASUS Radeon 6950 and a Powercolor Radeon 6950. I had three questions:

1. My motherboard has two 16x slots but they say "(or x8 in MultiGPU setup)". I was just wondering if I had to manually change this setting from 16x to 8x or if it automatically does that. Here's the manual for reference:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z68-V_GEN3/E6849_P8Z68-V_GEN3.pdf

Page 212

2. Does it matter which slot I put my Crossfire bridge on? Both cards have two slots that a bridge can go on. Does it matter which one I put my single bridge on? (I don't have another bridge; I bought the ASUS card from a friend and he didn't have the bridge).

3. In Furmark, when I do a benchmark/burn-in test, it shows my Powercolor card (in the first slot) at 99% usage, but it only shows 80-82% usage for my ASUS card (Second slot). Is this normal?

Thank you in advance, and sorry if these were answered in the FAQ; I couldn't find the answers.

anshkansara

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

1. Good to know.
2. It's numbered, but it's numbered awkwardly; I can't tell if it's for the bridge or not. It's like |___| |___| 2 1

The numbers aren't beside their respective slots.

3. Doesn't furmark put full load on both?

anshkansara

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Also, another quick question; if the bridge is bent, will it get damaged? To put it in the slot that says "1", I have to plug it in and have it kind of bent over the heat pipe of my Powercolor 6950. Will being bent damage or being against the heat pipe damage it in any way?

Edit: well, not so much SAYS "1" but logically corresponds to "1".