Couple Questions, Please Help

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
This weekend I am buying... (BTW, I live in US)

ABIT KT7A-RAID (the new 133MHz FSB board) ($175)
Athlon TBird 1.2GHz ($300)
256 MB DIMM (not sure on price)

Ok so here is my questions...

1.) 256 MB DIMM. I heard to get the best RAM especially when going the AMD route. Obviously, this board doesn't support DDR. Am I making a mistake by not waiting for DDR? How much performance will I lose. Also, I heard I can order crucial off the net, I see that it costs $120 for what I want. At the local computer warhouse I am buying these parts at, they have three levels of ram - no warranty, 1 year warranty, lifetime warranty. They range, for a 256 MB DIMM, from $110 (no warranty) to $190 (lifetime). When I hear to get the best, I assume the $190 RAM? Yet the memory on the net from crucial is $120 and people say this is the best, whats the warranty on that?
I heard that RAM warranty is better depending on how good the RAM is, ie no warranty barely passed tests for good RAM to sell, whereas lifetime passed all of the tests perfectly and thats why it has the lifetime warranty and costs more.
So, should I get the RAM at the store that matches the crucial price and that is the same quality, or order from crucial online, or what? Some clarification on all this RAM stuff would be nice as I am pretty confused.

2.) I have heard that to use FSB you need an Athlon C processor or you can do it manually. Is there any chance that the processor I will buy is a class C? Or will I have to do this manually. Also, I have never overclocked or done anything like this before, and I have always built Intel systems, but Intels a rip-off now, so... yeah. Anyway, what EXACTLY do I need to do to make sure that I run this thing at 133MHz FSB. Remember I have never overclocked before or fooled around with that 'dangerous' type stuff. Also is that dangerous at all or should I be safe.

3.) I am buying a 300 watt full tower case as well. Should 300 watts be enough? My video card is a TNT2 32MB, and I am running two Hard drives, a DVD and a CD-RW drive. I think 300W should be plenty, but didn't know if the newer Tbird 133MHz FSB chips/motherboards suck more, I should be ok, right?

4.) As this my first time away from Intel and rather with AMD, is there anything else I should know before going out and buying these parts? Compatibility issues? Stability issues? Anything?

Thanks!

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok here goes
1) By the crucial you wont regret it
2) The athlon c is not yet available in the retail chanel. So you will have to unlock the cpu by connecting the L1 bridges on the cpu with a #2 pensil .5mm recommended and then change the cpu multiplyer and fsb in the bios.
3) 300w should be enough.
4) the kt133a is a very mature chipset and does not have very many isues left but you need to install the via 4in1 drivers that come with the mobo on cd.
5) If you have more questions please contact me.

SANDMAN