halem111

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
so whats the best cpu on the market at the moment. I mean some ppl say the athlon 64, wats the difference between an athlon 64 and a athlon 64 fx? Is the l3 cache that much of a performance increase on the pentium. Also i know this doesnt belong here but which is better radeon 9800xt or the nvidia 5950. Thanks for the info

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
You can never really label anything as 'best'! It all depends: how do you want to use your PC? how much money you are willing to spend? etc. etc.

<font color=blue> Look steadfastly into the slit, pinpointed malignant eyes of reality as an old-hand trainer dominates his wild beasts.</font color=blue>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
If you look on the benchmarks of either Athlon 64-FX51 and P4EE 3.2 or ATi 9800 XT and Nvidia 5950, they're almost the same. But what I think you should consider is: if it is really practical enough to buy these latest and fastest piece of silicons today. I think: NO. If you like to get something fast enough get at least the third to the fastest parts such as the Ati Radeon 9600 XT or the AMD Athlon 64 3000+.

<b>MY PC SPECS</b>
Intel P4 2.0GHz | 256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM | Nvidia GeForceFX 5200 64MB | Integrated Audio | Asus P4S333 SiS645 | Seagate 40GB 7.2KRPM HDD | WINXP PRO SP1

Coop

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
If you read this site the P4 is the fastest ever made, but if you look at any other review site they will tell you the Athlon64 is way faster, runs cooler and is cheaper, conclusion ? Tom Got a Big bag of money from Intel, there is no other explenation !

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
The best is the new opterons which support dual cpu and 3200 ram,essentially the fx51 only better.The intel p4ee and fx51 are about the same.For gaming the best GPU is the asus 9800XT,same as the ati;except better built and better cooled.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
256MB
Manufacturing process 0.13 micron
Chip technology 256-bit
Transistor count 130 million
Core clock speed. 475MHz
Memory clock speed. 475MHz (DDR=950MHz)
Memory bandwidth. 256-bit DDR
Rendering Pixel pipelines. 16
Texture units per pipeline. 1
Textures per Texture unit 16
Pixel fill rate. Colour+Z x 1.9Gpixels/sec
Vertex shader units. FP Array,Extream timing multiplyer
Colour bits per channel 10
AGP 4x/8X Yes + DX9
Max displays/Ramdacs 2/2

ATI Radeon 9800 XT
256MB
Manufacturing process 0.15 micron
Chip technology 256-bit
Transistor count 107 million
Core clock speed 412MHz
Memory clock speed. 365MHz (DDR=730MHz
Memory bandwidth. 256-bit DDR / DDR-II
Rendering Pixel pipelines. 8
Texture units per pipeline. 1
Textures per Texture unit 8
Pixel fill rate. 3.1Gpixels/sec
Vertex shader units. 4
Colour bits per channel 10
AGP 4x/8X Yes + DX9
Max displays/Ramdacs 2/2

Ok take your pic!! I have a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard version 2, with the nForce chipset from Nvidia voted best motherboard of 2003 by Tom's Hardware guide.
I would get the GeForce card anyways. Another upgrade ;(

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

AMD_DA_BEST

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2003
umm...did you say "same"? haha....watch what you say..in Half Life2, which is a DX9 game, does best on ATI cards and does really poor on nVidia cards. but if you mainly play old games like battlefield 1942, then nVidia isn't too bad. except that they can't render DX9 well. It's your money. not mine. Oh and btw, TOM GOT A BIG FAT BELLY FULL OF MONEY WITH A STICKER THAT SAYS INTEL!!! ATHLON64 is the way to go!

I'm an AMD FANBOY. Intel folks, watch out!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, the explanation is that other sites are made up of dickhead AMD fans like yourself and they purposely misconfigured the Intel systems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

AMD_DA_BEST

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2003
watch what you're saying dumb@ss! we have our own favorites. Just don't exaggerate things about P4 while saying them to the n00bs. You are too f|_|cked up on giving opinions. n00bs will think that Intel is the best but AMD is the best too. Intel sells their cpus too overpriced. while AMD doesn't do that kind of $hit. but P4s include SSE2 instructions. which is good for watching dvds and video editing. Hyper Threading doesn't work well either so don't give me $hit about that. Now, I just read an article here about the processors for the holiday. This stupid TOM or whatever said that Athlon64s are OVERPRICED. WTF?! look at those 3ghz P4s! they are like $240! and P4EEs are $1000 for Christ's sake! so what I'm trying to say is, that try to think about other things in this world not just one. so stop f|_|cking about AMD and think about how f|_|ck Intel is.

I'm an AMD FANBOY. Intel folks, watch out!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Haha, read what he said, read what I said, and then realize that YOU'RE the idiot for even sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong. I hope you do that in a bar some time :smile:

Did anyone ask you? No. Why do you think that is? :wink:

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
If you're so worried about "TOM" getting money to back intel.. then why do you come here?
Obviously we are all intel fanboys then and we know that you hate us. </sarcasm>

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The thing is on cpus. Is you have to Check More then one website for ture Facts. For Apple prove this as being ture. Claiming they where the fastest PC. Then 15 Webs sites tested Apple and TechTV and some magazines tested the same chip and Prove the chip being slower. So Just going by Tomshardware you be dumb. What the key is Research.

Like if Tomshardware says Intel is the fastest chip and 10 other websites says Amd or Apple is faster who is right? Or go back 6 months when Amd 3200 barton and all the websites are saying Intel the fastest even Tomshardware. Other then Amd website. Whos right? Its all in each of us doing Research.

samcheetah

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2003
why do u people always fight on "who has the fastest processor" and "my intel is better than your amd" bla bla.

u people act like children

get over it

i think one should buy a processor that isnt hard on his budjet.

there are better things in life than comparing between amd and intel

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
The thing is that you have to learn how to read the reviews. Does the reviewer gives specific details about every component used in this test configuration? And I mean SPECIFIC. Even the slightest change can turn the battle in favour of the one or the other. If you found one more review except THG that does that, please let me know and I'd be happy to read it. Nevertheless, don't get me wrong, A64 FX is the best processor around IMO, because it is as fast as the P4EE, cheaper and more future-proof.

halem111

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
thanx guys i didnt mean to turn this into another intel vs athlon argument. IMO i think the athlon 64 is going to be better for me and i think the ati 9800xt. Just also wanted to add what is the best pc manufacturer to buy from in the uk i have had a look at the likes of alienware and directfrom, are there any others for better prices or better quality. Is it me or are the alienware quality outstanding including detailslike tieing all the wiresback.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I didn't say one processor was better than the other, I was simply responding to the ludicrouse statement the Tom's takes payoffs to scew benchmarks. Get over it, you're the one acting childish now.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Most 9800Pros can be clocked to 9800XT levels and beyond. I would get one of those myself.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
You really do know nothing except how to cut and paste...

Halem, don't take your pick. Get the 9800XT unless you don't mind a lot of noise or you get a great deal on the 5950U.

SoD, why would you recommend the 5950U over the 9800XT??? It's louder (yes, I've used one in direct comparison to the 9800XT), not nearly as fast in DX9, and doesn't have nearly as good antialiasing quality in comparison to the 9800XT. So why would you recommend it??

Just because nVidia made an undeniably great chipset for the AXP doesn't mean they make the best products otherwise!! Their gaming GPUs are lackluster and their nForce3 isn't even in the top two for A64 chipsets, one good product doesn't mean assured quality from all the other factions of that company!!! You f-ing ten year old...

BTW, 'anyways' isn't an English word...

Damn Rambus.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Halem, Get the GeForce card because it is the better card, the ATI card's numbers are no where near the GeForce cards.

It is like a using a garden hose to put out a house fire the ATI card can only supply a fixed rate of water even if you overclock it it's still no where near the GeForce 5950 card for performance.

The GeForce 5950 has more horsepower then any ATI card made to date it's simple math. The ATI guys know the GeForce Cards have higher numbers and performance levels but they keep trying to blame the world for their decision in buying the lower end ATI products.

Next year the ATI cards could have the better numbers and I would get an ATI card but for now the hands down leader is Nvidia.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
GeForce FX5900
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
SodNightHawk you are talking out your ass again (as usual)

The 5950 might have a slight advantage in directx8 games but the huge advantage the 9800XT has with directx9 out wieghs it. and if image quality is your thing the 5050 don't hold a candle to the 9800XT

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Nvidia invented the graphics industry at the state of the art levels for graphics generation the ATI company is a second hand garage band I should know I have been to the plant and walked the floor there in a Quality Auditor role in regards to SMT (surface Mount Technologies) The plant is a 3 hour drive from my home/work.

Everything Nvidia does the world follows the ATI GPU does not provide better graphics quality then the Nvidia new Nvidia product line even in DX9 that Nvidia also has a working relationship with that again ATI does not.

ATI in the last few cards they have produced have even failed Bench Mark Guru's test for faulty lighting in games.

Light that is not directed from the true source, fragmented lines in graphics detail is another problem with ATI cards.

The new Geforce cards remove graphics glitches in DX8 and in the new DX9 formats that ATI has no idea how to remove because they do not have inside company support that Nvidia has with DirectX engineering.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
GeForce FX5900
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
You are so wrong. Only an idiot would rely on the company itself to tell them how good their product is.

Nvidia has to use cheat benchmarks to get a competative score in any benchmark or game. They optomize their cheat drivers for the top 4 or 5 games and benchies in order to fool idiots like you.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Get the GeForce card because it is the better card, the ATI card's numbers are no where near the GeForce cards.
I'd get a Radeon since the FPS are higher and has slightly better IQ. Oh yeah, I'd also wouldn't have to wait for optimized drivers to play the newest games.

It is like a using a garden hose to put out a house fire the ATI card can only supply a fixed rate of water even if you overclock it it's still no where near the GeForce 5950 card for performance.
HUH?! I don't get your analogy...it's a little misguided. As for the rest, you have no clue what you are talking about. OCing a Radeon helps a lot (doesn't scale fully, but almost) and the 9800XT beats the 5950U, that FACT was established awhile back.

The GeForce 5950 has more horsepower then any ATI card made to date it's simple math.
Wanna make a car analogy?! Bring it on!!!!! Alright, so the 5950U has more horsepower, who says the drivetrain (drivers) can use it efficiently?? Will it run in a year (i.e., can it play the games that are coming out soon?)? Does it have a muffler (noise assessment)? Can it run also run at Laguna, Lions, and LeMans (i.e., will is play ANYTHING you throw at it well?[btw, those are three VERY different tracks, two road courses {one flat, one hilly}, one drag strip {the only place where the extra BHP will come in handy}])? No, no, no, no.

The ATI guys know the GeForce Cards have higher numbers and performance levels but they keep trying to blame the world for their decision in buying the lower end ATI products.
You have no clue what you are talking about!! None of that makes sense!

Next year the ATI cards could have the better numbers and I would get an ATI card but for now the hands down leader is Nvidia.
1) nVidia is not better right now, let alone the handsdown leader.
2) if you keep getting free nVidia cards, why go ATi?!
3) nobody knows much of the NV40...making a comparision is moot.

Do you try to say the opposite of the truth?!

Damn Rambus.

MrPanther0

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Yo SOD NightHawk your pretty dumb; how is this statement: "The Geforce3 totally rules the Radeon 9800 XT because its cool and I have a geforce3 not a radeon." Man you sound worse that that.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Just how stupud can a guy get?

Millions of benchmarks, done by people of much higher intellect than yourself (heck even a turd has you outclassed in that dep.), PROVE the 9800xt is superior in almost every way. But no, transistor count is MUCH more important than fps count.

<b> A mosquito is just a small woodpecker. </b>