[SOLVED] CPU 100% and GPU is barely above 0%

Apr 8, 2020
I've been on my pc for a while now but now that I've downloaded some hardware intensive games (Modern Warfare, Farcry 5, Watchdogs 2) I've been noticing a lot of micro-stutters that happen when a drastic change happens to the display or when just moving throughout a game or just on the menu moving my mouse through the different icons.
My task manager shows 100% on the CPU consistently, and just barely above 0% on the GPU consistently when gaming.
How do I fix this?
Specs (and settings) are:
  • Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero Motherboard
  • Intel i7-9700k CPU
  • Nvidia Geforce 1070 Founders Edition GPU
  • Corsair RM750x PSU
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB Ram
  • Switched power plan to high performance from balanced
  • Disabled Intel UHD Graphics in hopes of use of my Nividia GPU

Solution
I've been on my pc for a while now but now that I've downloaded some hardware intensive games (Modern Warfare, Farcry 5, Watchdogs 2) I've been noticing a lot of micro-stutters that happen when a drastic change happens to the display or when just moving throughout a game or just on the menu moving my mouse through the different icons.
My task manager shows 100% on the CPU consistently, and just barely above 0% on the GPU consistently when gaming.
How do I fix this?
  • Intel i7-9700k CPU
  • Corsair RM750x PSU
  • Disabled Intel...
How do I fix this?
  • Intel i7-9700k CPU
  • Corsair RM750x PSU
  • Disabled Intel UHD Graphics in hopes of use of my Nividia GPU
My best guess to your issue is your GTX 1070 driver being outdated or corrupted.

To fix:
1. Download DDU: https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,19.html
A. Unzip the DDU application. Don't run it yet.

2. Download GTX 1070 latest driver: https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/445.75/445.75-desktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe

3. Press the Windows key then type "msconfig.exe" without quotes.
A. Click on the boot tab -> Click on Safe Mode -> Select network -> Apply.
B. Reboot.

4. Once your computer reboots, navigate to your downloads folder (or whichever directory you placed DDU) and run the application. Remove your previous Nvidia drivers. Don't restart.

5. Press the Windows key then type "msconfig.exe" without quotes.
A. In the general tab, select "Normal Startup".
B. Apply then reboot.

6. Go to your downloads folder and install your nvidia drivers.

It's unnecessary to disconnect from the internet as you should be able to install the drivers before they finish downloading. Even in the event that Windows installs the drivers, you can just upgrade them like you normally would when updating drivers.

Hope this helps!

Solution

Bassplate

Reputable
My best guess to your issue is your GTX 1070 driver being outdated or corrupted.

To fix:
1. Download DDU: https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,19.html

2. Download GTX 1070 latest driver: https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/445.75/445.75-desktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe

B. Reboot.

4. Once your computer reboots, navigate to your downloads folder (or whichever directory you placed DDU) and run the application. Remove your previous Nvidia drivers. Don't restart.

B. Apply then reboot.

It's unnecessary to disconnect from the internet as you should be able to install the drivers before they finish downloading. Even in the event that Windows installs the drivers, you can just upgrade them like you normally would when updating drivers.

Hope this helps!
THIS HELPS!Defnetly the Graphics driver or just update windows to let windows download the driver.

Reactions: wubblebubble69
Apr 8, 2020

To fix:

B. Reboot.

B. Apply then reboot.

Hope this helps!
This worked perfectly I’m seeing a healthy amount of GPU usage along with my CPU. Thank you so much!