Question CPU 100 degrees at bios and during idle

xueyong26

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Hey everyone, today after cleaning my air cleaning my PC, my computer started overheating to 100C. As I had not replaced my thermal compound for 2 years, I went on to replace my thermal compound with Thermal Grizzly Cyronaut but my PC is still over heating.

Here are my Specifications:
Motherboard: ROG Maximus VII Ranger
CPU: i5-4790K
Cooler: Corsair H100i (V1, not 2)
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR3
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W
Case: Fractal Define R5

I have been using this PC for 3.5years with no issues.

Steps that I have taken after searching online:
1) I have replaced the thermal compound TWICE(both times a pea size bit and I cleaned the areas before applying) using Thermal Grizzly Cyronaut. The pump is secure on the CPU as I have mounted it accurately and the mounting bracket is not loose. I have also tried pressing down the cooler on the CPU and the temperatures would not drop.

2) I have updated the bios to the latest version(3003 for my MOBO). As some posts suggested that it might be a bios problem, I have replaced the CMOS battery and I did the reset the bios physically using the reset button. I have also went into windows before the temperature fully spiked(takes around 1minute to rise from 40C to 100C) and the temperature did not fall.

3) I have tried touching the cooler tubes and 1 is hot while the other is relatively cooler suggesting that the pump is working and that the CPU temperature detector is not faulty as I also heard boiling sounds coming from the pump once the temperature hits 100C. Also, my dual radiator fans were running as 2457rpm as that point of time. I have also removed both side panels to improve airflow although I have 3 case fans.

4) I have not overclocked before nor played with any overclock settings.

5) The max temp in the BIOS is 88C at 0.7 Vcore and 100C at idle at the desktop.

6) I have formatted both my SSDs and reinstalled windows just to be safe.

This is really confusing for me as my computer was working fine yesterday and I wonder if the air cleaning damaged my CPU. Can anyone please advise me on this issue?

InvalidError

Titan
100C junction temperature would be less than 100C package temperature and too low to actually boil coolant in the liquid loop. Whatever 'boiling' you are hearing must be something else such as cavitation in the pump. One pipe getting considerably hotter than the other indicates that there is heat transfer between the CPU and cooling block and that there indeed is some liquid flow.

My guess is insufficient flow rate due to a damaged or worn-out pump - can barely keep up with in-BIOS cooling.

xueyong26

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
100C junction temperature would be less than 100C package temperature and too low to actually boil coolant in the liquid loop. Whatever 'boiling' you are hearing must be something else such as cavitation in the pump. One pipe getting considerably hotter than the other indicates that there is heat transfer between the CPU and cooling block and that there indeed is some liquid flow.

My guess is insufficient flow rate due to a damaged or worn-out pump - can barely keep up with in-BIOS cooling.

Hmm that would make sense as the pump is making a lot of noise.

However, Corsair Link claims that my pump is running at 3000rpm, so should I just change to the stock intel cooler to test whether it is the pump's fault?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... after cleaning ... computer started overheating to 100C ...

CPU: i5-4790K
Cooler: Corsair H100i (V1, not 2)
Case: Fractal Define R5

I have been using this PC for 3.5years with no issues ... heard boiling sounds coming from the pump... 100C at idle at the desktop ... working fine yesterday ...

... Whatever 'boiling' you are hearing must be something else such as cavitation in the pump ...

xueyong25,

InvalidError is most likely correct; you heard "cavitation", which typically means there's air in the pump. The problem is related to your last physical actions when you laid the tower on it's side to replace the thermal compound. As the case and cooling system were moved to a different physical position, air previously captured in the radiator moved to the pump. The next powerup caused the impeller to cavitate in a bubble, which is where you're presently stuck.

Temporarily change the position of the case so that all of the radiator and tubing is higher than the pump. The bubble should move back to the radiator, the pump should regain flow, the cavitation should cease and your Core temperatures should return to normal. While powered down, you may need to pick up the case and gently shake it to help move the bubble. It'll require some time and several repetitions. Between physical movements, cycle power on and off for a minute while always keeping the pump lower than the tubes and radiator. When you return the case to normal position, maneuver it in such a way as to keep the pump lower than the tubes and radiator. If the problem is indeed due to a bubble, this technique should work.

The other possibility is that the "cavitation" sound is instead due to a blockage by sediments accumulated from galvanic corrosion (dissimilar metals; copper block & aluminum radiator) which is typical for AIOs. Whenever this happens, pump RPM is meaningless, because flow is either partially or completely blocked. Without an in-line flow indicator, it's difficult to be certain. In this instance, Corsair honors their 5 year warranty, so you can RMA your H110i for a replacement.

CT 😎

Last edited:

xueyong26

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
Hi everyone, thank you so much for your kind comments. I have finally found time to go down and RMA my cooler and now my CPU temps are back to normal! The issue is likely what CompuTronix or InvalidError stated being either the air bubble or the worn-out pump but I will never know! :p However, I tried have the radiator higher than the pump for a week but it did not work out so I guess it must be some sediment build-up or so.

TRENDING THREADS