[SOLVED] CPU 100 degrees at idle or gaming

Mar 15, 2020
for the past week my CPU temp are reaching 100 degrees in game and idle,i've reapplied thermal paste 5 time in different amount , lower the voltage but would reduce by 5 degrees and would rise back up to 100 degrees, I updated the bios lats night but didn't do anything,The aio cooler seems to be working and mounted correctly

what i notice is when i reapplied thermal paste the temps would idle around 35-40, but would rise a day later to 100 degrees again, as i'm typing this my temps on my cpu is 74 on idle on 2.16 core frequency 5% load. My specs are below, anything helps please and thank you

Intel core i7 8700k

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z370XP SLI-CF

32 gigs of RAM

Solution
i'm not sure what brand the radiator is cuz this a rebuilt PC, but I replaced the water in the radiator last year and was working perfectly fine around that time
It may of worked before but it clearly isn't working now since the CPU is getting too hot and I don't think it's worth tinkering further with that AIO especially if it were to leak and ruin those high end parts.

I'd buy a higher end air cooler and call it a day.
Mar 15, 2020
How old is the AIO? If you've had it for awhile, the pump is either clogged or broken.
id say about a good 2 years, I cleaned it last Thursday and refilled it with distilled water, when i turn on my pc i can hear the water going through the radiator. the temps were fine at idle, but in game the cpu temps would rise by 1 degree every 15 minute

WildCard999

Titan
id say about a good 2 years, I cleaned it last Thursday and refilled it with distilled water, when i turn on my pc i can hear the water going through the radiator.
Which AIO is this? Most if not all of them don't need to be refilled which would void any warranty on it but doing any kind of alteration to it could cause some damage to the tubing and if that gets blocked then that could result in those higher temps.

Mar 15, 2020
Which AIO is this? Most if not all of them don't need to be refilled which would void any warranty on it but doing any kind of alteration to it could cause some damage to the tubing and if that gets blocked then that could result in those higher temps.
i'm not sure what brand the radiator is cuz this a rebuilt PC, but I replaced the water in the radiator last year and was working perfectly fine around that time

WildCard999

Titan
It may of worked before but it clearly isn't working now since the CPU is getting too hot and I don't think it's worth tinkering further with that AIO especially if it were to leak and ruin those high end parts.

I'd buy a higher end air cooler and call it a day.

Solution
Mar 15, 2020
A prebuilt, huh?
Those companies will take another vendor's cooler and rebrand it as their own, so without some visual info, it'd be difficult to tell what the exact model is.

Did you add any biocide along with the distilled water?
no i just added distilled water and was using a needleless syringe to refill the radiator through 2 little hole on where the cpu block it