[SOLVED] CPU 100 degrees with AIO + 6 fans!!

macaumetal

Honorable
Dec 7, 2015
Hi everyone, I recently updated my system and while testing my i9-10900 it's reaching 100 degrees on Cinebench.
The thing is I have a beQuiet! Silent Loop 2 360, and 6 more fans in my case.
It's a Lian Li o11 Dynamic, and the config is for the 3 rear and 3 bottom fans (12mm Noctua Chromax Black) as intake and the radiator mounted on top as exhaust.
I applied a good amount of Arctic Cooling MX 4 thermal paste.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Solution
I see the three fans at the bottom of the image with the Yellow Intake arrow.

What is below those fans? PSU - gaps?

I count six intake fans, three being "sideways" so to speak. Versus at the back end of the case,

My thought is that overall air flows are being limited and once beyond certain temperatures are no longer able to provide full cooling effect.

Hopefully the photograph will encourage other suggestions and comments.

In the meantime, take a closer look at the installation guide(s) for case, coolers, and fans.

Even if the arrangement is "supported" that does not necessarily mean that the arrangement is effective.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

What was the original system configuration and what all was updated?

= = = =

Regarding "a good amount".

How much paste was used and how was the paste applied? What procedure did you use to apply the thermal paste?

Case fans: are you able to take a couple of photographs showing the case fans, their arrangement, and the directional airflow for each fan?

If so, take photographs and post the photographs herein via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Reactions: macaumetal

macaumetal

Honorable
Dec 7, 2015
Hi @Ralston18 thanks for the tip.

The specs are (all bought new):

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix z490 E-Gaming WiFi
Processor: Intel i9-10900
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 3060 12GB OC
Cooler: beQuiet! SIlent Loop 2 360mm
3 Noctua Chromax Black NF-S12A (Conected to CHA_FAN 1 via Deepcool FH-04)
3 Noctua Chromax Black NF-S12A (Conected to CHA_FAN 2 via Deepcool FH-04)
Drives: WD Blue SN570 250GB SSD M.2 NvMe (OS) @ 30% capacity
Kingston SA400S37480G SSD(Games) @ 80% capacity
Kingston SA400S37960G SSD(Music) @ 88% capacity
WD Blue 1TB HDD (Misc Storage) @ 33% capacity
PSU: Asus ROG 650W
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic

Things that changed:
Drive: I used to have the OS in a Kingston 250 SSD, so this is a clean Windows install.
Cooler: Used to have a ROG Ryujin 240mm
Case: It was a NZXT H500i with 2 Noctua Chromax Black NF-S12A
All the other components are the same.

Regarding Thermal Paste. I applied it with the little spatula that came in the box covering all the processor. Other times I've applied a little bean in the center.
The AIO Pump header is a 3 pin fan connector and I plugged it in the AIO Pump header.

And here's the image with the airflow. Now I'm thinking about changing the radiator to intake and the vertical fans to exhaust.

nXfZIMB.jpg

Hope this helps and thanks again!!

PS: I don't know if this is relevant but when running Cinebench the temps spike to 100% almost immediateli. When Running Aida64 with only CPU selected it stays in 70 to 73 degrees, but if I add the "Stress FPU" I get the Thermal Throttling warnig.

Ralston18

Titan
I see the three fans at the bottom of the image with the Yellow Intake arrow.

What is below those fans? PSU - gaps?

I count six intake fans, three being "sideways" so to speak. Versus at the back end of the case,

My thought is that overall air flows are being limited and once beyond certain temperatures are no longer able to provide full cooling effect.

Hopefully the photograph will encourage other suggestions and comments.

In the meantime, take a closer look at the installation guide(s) for case, coolers, and fans.

Even if the arrangement is "supported" that does not necessarily mean that the arrangement is effective.

Solution

macaumetal

Honorable
Dec 7, 2015
Hi everyone!! Problem SOLVED!!!
Thanks again to @Ralston18 and @Lafong for their advice.
I set the "vertical/side" and the radiator fans to exhaust with only the bottom as intake. (by the way there's a 3cm gap below the fans Ralston)

BUT, while doing that I also tightened the AIO Pump screws. I think that out of fear of appliying too much pressure on the Processor I didn't properly installed it and there was minimum contact.
Anyway, in order to check if this was actually the problem I should revert the fans, but honestly it's working so, "don't fix it if it ain't broken" right?
Now on Cinebench I'm getting 81°C max on HWMonitor, and a beautiful 64°C on Aida64 stress test with CPU, FPU, cache and Memory.

Again thanks for everything, now should I do something to mark this thread as solved?

TRENDING THREADS