CPU 100% load on idle!

Jordan Holliday

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Hi, so i just noticed today that my cpu has been going to 100% load straight away and staying there when i turn on my pc but the weird thing is when i open task manager it automatically drops to normal usage and then as soon as i close task manager it rockets away back up to 100% load.

Any helpers?

Tried reverting the last windows update
Run an antivirus and fine combed my system for any unusual programs
Tried changing some registries

But nothing seems to be helping!

PC Specs:
AMD FX-8300 Overclocked to 3.7Ghz
MSI GTX 960 4gb Overclocked 150mhz on clock speed and memory speed
8gb ddr3 ram
ASUS M5A78L-M LX3

Running windows 10

Solution

That sentence is exactly why I said cryptojacking malware. It makes it more difficult to detect by examining the running processes because the cryptojacking malware is idled when it detects that Windows Task Manager has been opened.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Windows 10, even the initial "upgrade" from W7 or W8 to 10 had a tendency to spike CPU/RAM &/or Disk usage to 100%.
I haven't heard of it being too much of an issue in the latest updates, but still....

A clean OS install should fix the issue, for sure.

BUT, some suggested 'solutions' can be found hereL
https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/windows-10-high-cpu-usage-after-creators-update.html

The fact the usage drops when you open Task Manager is a new one to me, but otherwise, sounds similar to existing, known issues.

Jordan Holliday

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I thought it might have been malware aswell but i ran malwarebytes and it detected and quarantined 40 threats and i restarted my pc to remove them, it was working until i was halfway through a game of fortnite and it started going to 100% load again now i cant even open a folder without it lagging

If you open Task Manager, the look in the 'details' tab you will see a 'cpu' row that tells you how much cpu power that process is using. I'd look in there and see what is using so much cpu. Not only that, but scan that list of processes to see if any of them seem unusual or sketchy.

I also use a utility called "Autoruns" to control what boots up with Windows. You can run that utility just to check and see what is booting up automatically, make sure there's nothing on there that doesn't belong there. If it's something you wanted and installed, that's fine. What you're looking for are mysterious entries that you didn't install and that don't sound like part of Windows either.

That sentence is exactly why I said cryptojacking malware. It makes it more difficult to detect by examining the running processes because the cryptojacking malware is idled when it detects that Windows Task Manager has been opened.

Solution
Jul 9, 2019
Hi, so i just noticed today that my cpu has been going to 100% load straight away and staying there when i turn on my pc but the weird thing is when i open task manager it automatically drops to normal usage and then as soon as i close task manager it rockets away back up to 100% load.

Any helpers?

Tried reverting the last windows update
Run an antivirus and fine combed my system for any unusual programs
Tried changing some registries

But nothing seems to be helping!

PC Specs:
AMD FX-8300 Overclocked to 3.7Ghz
MSI GTX 960 4gb Overclocked 150mhz on clock speed and memory speed
8gb ddr3 ram
ASUS M5A78L-M LX3

Running windows 10

i have same problem all 6 core go to 100% adn thay over heat my cpu hard. but when i open task meneger it drops. and i just got clean windowns reinstal

Jul 9, 2019
If you open Task Manager, the look in the 'details' tab you will see a 'cpu' row that tells you how much cpu power that process is using. I'd look in there and see what is using so much cpu. Not only that, but scan that list of processes to see if any of them seem unusual or sketchy.

I also use a utility called "Autoruns" to control what boots up with Windows. You can run that utility just to check and see what is booting up automatically, make sure there's nothing on there that doesn't belong there. If it's something you wanted and installed, that's fine. What you're looking for are mysterious entries that you didn't install and that don't sound like part of Windows either.

well no you cant. becos how i know i have 100% lode is from program core temp and insane fan speed but then i go in tas manager and like magick it drops to lest then 10% lode so i cant see what is using all the cpu