[SOLVED] CPU 100 percent usage

Beer_30

Prominent
May 27, 2020
Okay so i've exhausted all ideas and you guys are my last hope ATM. When I start some programs (generally games) my CPU sometimes gets locked to 100 percent usage and basically makes the system is so slow and stuttering that I have to restart it in order to fix the issue. I've ram a mem test and there is no issue with the ram, I ran the intel health test and there was no issue and here is my userbenchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28648118

i7 8700k (Stock speed)
2080Ti
32 gigs corsair vengeance RGB pro
Asus ROG Z370
Corsair 750 watt PSU

(NOTE: I ALREADY DID A FULL WIPE OF WINDOWS AND BIOS IS UP TO DATE)

Solution
Install/run HWmonitor, and verify that CPU is at least running all cores under load at 4400 MHz or so...; under/during single core tasks, you should see brief clock speed increases on 1 or 2 cores fluctuating to as high as 4700 MHz, and, if cooling and power budget allow, and MCE is enabled, then all cores should turbo to as high as 4700 MHz...

If you only see only 800 MHz, then your mainboard is running at bare minimums in sort of a failsafe mode, not uncommon with a confused BIOS, unknown chipset drivers, etc...; and, that would certainly explain the slowness!

(Perhaps a WIndows update botched your chipset drivers, you could try reinstalling them and /orremoving/reinstalling GeForce Experience.
Install/run HWmonitor, and verify that CPU is at least running all cores under load at 4400 MHz or so...; under/during single core tasks, you should see brief clock speed increases on 1 or 2 cores fluctuating to as high as 4700 MHz, and, if cooling and power budget allow, and MCE is enabled, then all cores should turbo to as high as 4700 MHz...

If you only see only 800 MHz, then your mainboard is running at bare minimums in sort of a failsafe mode, not uncommon with a confused BIOS, unknown chipset drivers, etc...; and, that would certainly explain the slowness!

(Perhaps a WIndows update botched your chipset drivers, you could try reinstalling them and /orremoving/reinstalling GeForce Experience.

Solution

Beer_30

Prominent
May 27, 2020

I reinstalled windows/GPU drivers. Would that have updated the chipset drivers?

Beer_30

Prominent
May 27, 2020
That didn’t answer my question, what is the cpu temperature when the stuttering occurs. Any defect with the cooling could cause it to overheat regardless of if it’s been de-lidded.
CPU never goes over 55-60 on and GPU sits at 75 while gaming. The system stutters when a program is starting not while it is running and it isnt consistent as it hasnt done it in a couple of days