[SOLVED] CPU 3900x 4900x 5900x help/ advice / thoughts.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Does the 3900x get all the frames a 3080 can punch out, or should I wait for 4900x?

I am about to purchase a PC and I prefer not to wait for the new ryzens since I have already waited months as it is.

thoughts on the matter?

Kind regards

Ape

Solution
I am waiting as well. I think the new AMD parts will be worth waiting for and if they aren't then I'll probably continue to wait for the next Gen Intel parts. Current Gen AMD is very good, but I am really looking for a release with significant IPC improvements because between this gen and my 6th Gen Intel, that hasn't improved enough to make it really compelling. Cores have increased, but IPC has grown stagnant for the most part.

Plus, even given the good performance on Intel parts, the power consumption is ridiculous. I think Zen 3 will give us same as Intel performance with much lower power consumption but only time will tell.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
3900x

32GB ram 3200mhz vengeance x2 16gb sticks.

Asus rog strix x570 f gaming

rmx 850 gold modular

corsair aio probably a 360mm or a corsair h115i platinum

3080 rog strix

Firecuda 520 1tb m.2

I would like to finally try out the 1440p monitors and hope to get a 240hz predator when it comes out.

my idea is to max out current and future games but I am ok that some won't me able to go full 240 FPS for the monitor but then when I play league of legends and warzone I can then max to 250 FPS. So best of both worlds.

Several PC scaling comparisons have already been done on the Youtube circuit...

Max FPS with a 3080 at 1080P is currently extracted from 10900K or 10700K...(The upcoming 5800X might indeed change that!)

The difference is less pronounced at 1440P, and a non-player at 4k..
(The 3900X does not offer much extra performance, gaming-wise, over the 3700X/3800X, IMO)

Several PC scaling comparisons have already been done on the Youtube circuit...

Max FPS with a 3080 at 1080P is currently extracted from 10900K or 10700K...(The upcoming 5800X might indeed change that!)

The difference is less pronounced at 1440P, and a non-player at 4k..
(The 3900X does not offer much extra performance, gaming-wise, over the 3700X/3800X, IMO)

Yes, there are very few, if any, games that see an increase in performance because you're using anything from the current AMD product stack higher than the 3700x. There just aren't sufficient optimizations to see more than 8 cores with hyperthreading translate into tangible gaming performance gains. Unless of course you are also recording, streaming, encoding, or performing OTHER simultaneous heavy multitasking WHILE you are gaming, in which case THEN those extra cores are probably going to make a difference.

You have to always consider, EVERY SINGLE gaming performance review you see is done under lab conditions and they are NOT going to be doing ANYTHING else while they are doing benchmark comparisons between CPU models. So that consideration can definitely change what CPU model you might consider to be the top choice based on whether anything higher offers additional benefit or not.

Besides which, we do of course know that just because something hits a ceiling today, doesn't mean it will next year, or in six months, or next week, based on newer games with newly optimized code, new or refined APIs and changes to Windows itself. Four years ago, there was almost nothing that could possibly have made any substantial use of an 8 core 16 thread processor on the consumer side of things, and not just in gaming, now, there is a lot that can, but there is not a lot that can beyond that on the same platforms. But it's changing constantly.

I am looking to play 1440p though so 3900x is able to extract all 3080's FPS? . Thoughts on 3900x.
hope to get a 240hz predator

What kind of games do you MOST frequently tend to play? Are you an all-in on Ultra type of gamer or are you somebody that doesn't mind at all having to turn things down to mostly all high settings on demanding type games?

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
I was hoping not to turn anything down for at least 3 years to get my moneys worth since I have to pay £2500 for this build. I have been turning setting down all my life though to achieve FPS over eye candy.

If it's wise to just wait for the 3080 20gb and the Ryzen 4900x for those potential better core clocks then I will do it, but how long would be the latest I would have to wait for that is the questions approximately.

We will know more about the Ryzen parts on October 8th. As to when ANYTHING will actually be readily available, from Nvidia graphics cards to AMD CPUs, hell, I don't know. I don't think anybody does to be honest INCLUDING Nvidia and AMD. This is the year of WTF in case you hadn't noticed. LOL.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah it's so annoying, I already sent back a 2080 super pc months ago ( it was faulty ) and been waiting months before that even lol. Just a huge waiting game to spend right. I am gonna wait for the 4900x and pair it with a 3080 20gb. That will be the best time to buy imo.

I am waiting as well. I think the new AMD parts will be worth waiting for and if they aren't then I'll probably continue to wait for the next Gen Intel parts. Current Gen AMD is very good, but I am really looking for a release with significant IPC improvements because between this gen and my 6th Gen Intel, that hasn't improved enough to make it really compelling. Cores have increased, but IPC has grown stagnant for the most part.

Plus, even given the good performance on Intel parts, the power consumption is ridiculous. I think Zen 3 will give us same as Intel performance with much lower power consumption but only time will tell.

Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Does the 3900x get all the frames a 3080 can punch out, or should I wait for 4900x?

I am about to purchase a PC and I prefer not to wait for the new ryzens since I have already waited months as it is.

thoughts on the matter?

Kind regards

Ape
No such thing 4xxx series is mobile. It will be 5xxx series and your 3900XT will not bottleneck the 3080 and pretty much dish out all the frames per second it can.💯👩‍🦲✝🤷‍♂️🙈

He doesn't have a 3900xt, or a 3900x, or any other similar CPU. He's looking to BUY something. Please, read the whole thread before posting. And yes, we realize that the desktop parts are now "supposedly" going to be called 5000 series, rather than 4000 series, but it's not been confirmed by AMD nor has it even been a rumor for more than about a day, so, really it's just words. Simply call it Zen 3 and be done with it.