cpu 4 pin power connector

Luis_97

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017
My motherboard (MSI Z270 Gaming M7) has an 8 pin cpu power connector, that my psu has, but it also has an extra 4 pin cpu power connector. Do i need to use the extra 4 pin cpu power connector? If so why is it that my psu didn't come with it?

Solution
The extra 4-pin CPU power connector, labeled as "CPU_PWR2" is for supporting additional power (75W +12V) to the CPU if you OC your CPU. Plugging EPS2 power cable into CPU_PWR2 is optional and isn't needed for normal operations of MoBo.

Most PSUs have only one 4/8-pin power connector for CPU since most mainstream MoBos only have one 4/8-pin EPS2 connector for CPU power. Server MoBos (e.g X299 chipset) usually have 2x 4/8 EPS2 power connectors for CPU. With those MoBos, you also need to use high-end PSUs that come with multiple 4/8-pin power cables for CPU. E.g Seasonic PRIME 650 80+ Titanium which is powering my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig).

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The extra 4-pin CPU power connector, labeled as "CPU_PWR2" is for supporting additional power (75W +12V) to the CPU if you OC your CPU. Plugging EPS2 power cable into CPU_PWR2 is optional and isn't needed for normal operations of MoBo.

Most PSUs have only one 4/8-pin power connector for CPU since most mainstream MoBos only have one 4/8-pin EPS2 connector for CPU power. Server MoBos (e.g X299 chipset) usually have 2x 4/8 EPS2 power connectors for CPU. With those MoBos, you also need to use high-end PSUs that come with multiple 4/8-pin power cables for CPU. E.g Seasonic PRIME 650 80+ Titanium which is powering my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig).

Solution