CPU 50+ Degrees at Idle

WhiteWeasel

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
So when trying to play fallout 4, my computer shuts down without warning after some time of playing it. After trouble shooting, thinking it was anywhere from a horrible bug, to a dying power supply, I downloaded piriform speccy and it's CPU read out is 40C with fluctuations up 50 or higher while at idle! Doing a thorough cleaning my computer probably helped, but I still get shut downs when playing Fallout 4 and high idle temperatures.

So my best two guesses are that I read that the stock fan on your CPU is the bare minimum to keep it running, and playing FO4 is too much for it to handle.

And/or: Now thermal compound you use for your CPU, how often do you have to replace it? Can this be a symptom of old thermal compound? I think it's been 2 years since I applied it back when I got my computer.

Specs if any of it's important:
CPU: AMD A10 5800K APU
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270
RAM: 8GB Of Dual Channel DDR3 Gskill sniper
PSU: rosewill green series rg530-s12 530w
Mobo: BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85W

EDIT 1: I redone the thermal paste, and Piriform Speccy still says I'm running idle temps of 45-50 with occasional spikes to 50C. So I guess a new CPU fan is in order. This is my stock fan on my CPU, So i'm guessing more RPM means more cooling right? So I'd need an 80mm fan with an RPM greater than 2500 right?

WhiteWeasel

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Update: Added thermal paste, minimal temperature drop. big problem is that I never used piriform speccy until the shutdowns started happening, so I don't really have a base line to compare it to. Guess I got to upgrade the fan.

Vetsku

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015

Yeah that might be it. Good luck :)

Vetsku

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015

That is too much man. over 80C get dangerous for your CPU.

WhiteWeasel

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Well I guess I have to get a better fan then. This 80mm fan runs at 5700 RPM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999612&cm_re=80mm_fan-_-11-999-612-_-Product
compared to my stock coolers 2500. Another thing I want to ask is how accurate is piriform speccy when it comes to temperature readouts? If I believe that my T-green power utility that came with my computer is wrong (it says 22C at tidle, and 40-50s when on load), then I have been running hot the whole time I owned my computer, and i'm surprised it hasn't destroyed itself yet.

Vetsku

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015

I have been using it for a long time, and it's been showing the same what everything else is showing to me (BIOS, Aida64,Core Temp..). So i would say it's pretty accurate.

AlexLA

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
The right temp of your CPU is what showing your utility that came with your PC. Because most of programs doesn't show right temp of the AMD APUs.Only utility of your motherboard shows right temp of yours APU.

WhiteWeasel

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Alrighty then, here's everything I could get. This was all taken when my computer was at idle. http://i.imgur.com/zngDxFT.png

Question, the shutdown temperature for your processor should be the same regardless of what program you use to monitor it's temperature right? Is there a specific shutdown temperature it has? Because, say it were 60 or 70C I would know speccy is wrong because it readouts above that when playing fallout 4 and the shutdowns during the gameplay don't happen anymore.

WhiteWeasel

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Because before I redone the thermal paste, my computer shutdown to prevent overheating when I played fallout too long. That and the piriform speccy was giving me exaggerated temperatures so I thought I was overworking my CPU. Because it told me it was hitting the 80C area and above when I was under load, and shutting down when I hit the 100C mark, when in reality, it was probably shutting down in the 60-70C area before I redid the thermal paste. So my computer DID have an overheating issue, it just wasn't as dire as I thought because the program I used gave me exaggerated temperatures.