[SOLVED] CPU 65-70C Idle temps

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
As stated by the title, my CPU idles pretty hot, but in games and under load it stays around 75C and doesn't go above 80C.

Its also a similar situation with my GPU, idles hot but stays cool under load.

For my cooler I use an M22 Kraken AIO and my GPU is an AORUS 1080 Ti card.

Is this something to worry about? Also what causes it?

Solution
Let me get this straight. You were getting usage spikes up to 45%. You replaced the PSU, the power supply, and you stopped getting usage spikes? I have never heard of anything like that.

Task manager might not be the best monitor either. Some malware is designed to close it's process(es) while the task manager is open. Do the temps drop when task manager is open? Is it possible you disturbed the CPU cooler when you were replacing the PSU? Are you sure the pump is running and the fans are pushing/pulling air through the rad? There have been cases where people have installed push/push fans or pull-pull fans. Have you done anything in the BIOS? Overclocks, tuning, just mucking around? Is it possible you set the voltage real high by...

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Are the CPU and GPU usages high under idle?
What are they?
Maybe something is running you aren't aware of?
I'd go to task manager and look.
Not really, around 5-15% usage, I recently replaced my PSU, beforehand my CPU would jump to like 45% usage and freeze but after I replaced it I haven't had an issue, but the temps stay the same.

Last edited:
Not really, around 5-15% usage, I recently replaced my PSU, beforehand my CPU would jump to like 45% usage and freeze but after I replaced it I haven't had an issue, but the temps stay the same.
It just seems odd.
I think that usually when you have idle temps that high....when you put on a heavy load....the temps go way high....and yours isn't doing that.
....but if the CPU doesn't go above 75C and the GPU doesn't go above 80C....and you're not having problems....I wouldn't be extremely concerned....but I still wonder about those idle temps.

Let me get this straight. You were getting usage spikes up to 45%. You replaced the PSU, the power supply, and you stopped getting usage spikes? I have never heard of anything like that.

Task manager might not be the best monitor either. Some malware is designed to close it's process(es) while the task manager is open. Do the temps drop when task manager is open? Is it possible you disturbed the CPU cooler when you were replacing the PSU? Are you sure the pump is running and the fans are pushing/pulling air through the rad? There have been cases where people have installed push/push fans or pull-pull fans. Have you done anything in the BIOS? Overclocks, tuning, just mucking around? Is it possible you set the voltage real high by accident? Or turned off throttling somehow? Such that even though the CPU isn't doing anything it's still running at full speed 4ghz or something like that?

In general, I'd say that AIO is too small. My general rule of thumb is to have 120+ for each device in the loop. For your loop a 140 rad would be the minimum. I don't think single 120 AIOs are good enough for the cost vs air.

Reactions: oldcracc
Solution

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
It just seems odd.
I think that usually when you have idle temps that high....when you put on a heavy load....the temps go way high....and yours isn't doing that.
....but if the CPU doesn't go above 75C and the GPU doesn't go above 80C....and you're not having problems....I wouldn't be extremely concerned....but I still wonder about those idle temps.
Yeah its a little odd, I suspect it might be my fan curve, I haven't manually set one but it might be it just runs with really low fan speed on idle and then it goes up under load, either way I can't hear it too much. I'm also putting in new fans soon so that might help with idle temps.

Task manager might not be the best monitor either. Some malware is designed to close it's process(es) while the task manager is open. Do the temps drop when task manager is open? Is it possible you disturbed the CPU cooler when you were replacing the PSU? Are you sure the pump is running and the fans are pushing/pulling air through the rad? There have been cases where people have installed push/push fans or pull-pull fans. Have you done anything in the BIOS? Overclocks, tuning, just mucking around? Is it possible you set the voltage real high by accident? Or turned off throttling somehow? Such that even though the CPU isn't doing anything it's still running at full speed 4ghz or something like that?
CPU is running at full speed (4.2 GHz turbo), my PSU situation is odd but I figured it was a PSU issue because my computer was freezing then when it was in idle, never froze under load, it usually happened when I was watching content (with spikes in my CPU under idle), and I had a "renewed" unit from amazon... So far after 2 days of usage I haven't encountered the issue again (after switching my units). When I get home I'll check if my usage drops when task manager is open. I don't think I messed with the cooler too much, it happened beforehand but I never drew too much concern because it didn't seem like an issue. I will also check out my fan configuration when I get home, that could also be the issue and I'm not 100% sure if the pump is running, but if it wasn't then I'd suspect my CPU would overheat then shut down. Also never overclocked, but when I get home I'll check the bios out. Would also factory resetting my system be useful? I've needed to declutter for some time now. It might not have been the PSU, the spikes and freezing happened at seemingly random and I'll update if it does happen. But, it could be that I just haven't encountered it yet.